Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slightly Confused!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Feb 2004 13:29

see below

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Feb 2004 13:32

I have been checking the 1841 census on FREECEN (this site is great for early scottish census' especially East Lothian area. I have found what I am positive are my ancestors, as everything matches, except one thing. That is the mother, on the census she is Mary but later on, on her daughter marriage certificate she is Robina. If she is called Mary this is possibly why I cannot find a marriage for her on Scotlands people. Is Robina a Scottish name and is it likely that names would change like this. Suppose I need to look for her daughter birth certificate to find out the mothers name.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Feb 2004 14:00

I think the assumption made is that the wife of the household is the mother of (all) the kids. Quite possibly, Mary is a second wife. Are there any gaps in the kids ages of more than say, two years? Pauline

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Feb 2004 23:51

Yeah, I thought of that this afternoon, I suppose she could be his second wife, what I need to do is check if the mother is down as deceased on the marriage certificate. Regards, Siobhan

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Feb 2004 00:40

Robina is deceased on her daughter marriage cert in 1861, this would make Robina about 24 when she died though, so don't know what to think now.