Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison warders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 13 Feb 2004 22:49

Does anybody know if there is a record of people who were prison warders in the 1800's. My 2nd great grandfather is shown as one on his daughter's wedding cert, but I can't find her or him on census in 1881. She married in 1887. I don't know if he was still alive then. It doesn't say deceased on the wedding cert, but I don't think I can assume he was still alive. The names are John Yelland, and daughter Mary, from Cornwall. Any ideas most welcome. Pauline

Linda

Linda Report 13 Feb 2004 23:06

Hi Pauline, I don't know if there is a site dedicated to Prison Warders but I do know that on the 1891 Sussex Census some of the warders are listed at the prison address - before the prisoners. The ones I have seen obviously live in with their families, servants and even visitors! Presumably those 'off duty' would not be. Hope that helps a little! Linda.

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Feb 2004 23:21

There are at least two Mary Yellands in Cornwall who were of marriageable age having widowed mothers in 1881, and FreeBMD has some John Yellands dying in the 1870s- Deaths Mar 1874 YELLAND John 63 Holsworthy 5b 401 Deaths Jun 1874 Yelland John 51 Truro 5c 110 It would help if you knew the area. I would imagine that warders at prisons would show up on the 1881 search anyway.

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 13 Feb 2004 23:22

Thanks for that idea Linda. This is becoming a real brick wall. It's only since getting the wedding cert that I realised I had gone down an incorrect path as reagrds Mary's parents. Think it happens to us all at some point, and sometimes more than once! Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 13 Feb 2004 23:28

Hi Geoff, Mary is confusing. 1891 shows her birth place as St Agnes, and age 28. 1901 shows her as born Newquay and age 34. She died aged 91 in Newquay 1958. Her wedding cert only shows age as "full". I sent off for what I thought was her birth cert to get father Joseph Yelland and mother Ruth Wellington, which is who I believed her parents were until I got the wedding cert with father's name John, and occupation prison warder. I have no other info on him at all. Any ideas? Pauline

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Feb 2004 22:32

Just checked on freecen for 1861 Cornwall and found a John Yelland in Truro. Doesn't look to be Mary's father tho'. Doesn't list any others. Piece: RG9/1552 Place: Truro-Cornwall Enumeration District: 3 Civil Parish: Probus Ecclesiastical Parish: - Folio: 25 Page: 3 Schedule: 21 Address: Probus Church Town -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks YELLAND John Head M M 22 Ag Lab Cornwall - Probus YELLAND Elizabeth J Wife M F 23 Cornwall - Truro

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 16 Feb 2004 15:34

Thanks for that Pauline. I.m not hopefull that they are the parents of Mary. Not the right area of Cornwall. Will keep searching. Pauline