Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Streets in Cranbrook.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 Feb 2004 21:12

I am researching my Ranger ancesters who lived in Cranbrook, the earliest at the moment being Joseph b.1823. I have seen an old book that mentioned "Rangers Row" in Cranbrook. Does anyone know if this still exists? John R.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Feb 2004 12:12

Which Cranbrook are we talking about here? Old-maps comes up with Essex, Kent and Middlesex. Pauline

John

John Report 13 Feb 2004 16:15

Hi! Pauline. never thought there were 3 Cranbrooks....Mine is the kent one. John R

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 13 Feb 2004 20:24

Hi John I've had a look in my Kent street maps and it doesn't appear there. Perhaps you could try ancestral villages or curiousfox you may find it there. Sue

Gerry

Gerry Report 13 Feb 2004 23:34

John www(.)old-maps(.)co(.)uk has an 1877 map of Cranbrook Kent but I could not see Rangers Row. However, I wasn't looking as hard as you would!! Gerry

John

John Report 14 Feb 2004 09:39

Hello all. Well, I have tried Old-Maps and despite a hard study with my one eye, cannot see it shown ! I have looked at various other sites without success. I assume it was only a small row of cottages and as such, not worth a mention. Hoped there might be someone on here who lived in Cranbrook and had knowledge. I know it was in existance 1914-1918. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. John

Karen

Karen Report 14 Feb 2004 17:22

Have you tried searching for it using the address search on 1901? otherwise if you can get hold of a kellys directory for Cranbrook for that time, you could go through the road names and see if you can find a Rangers Row that way. I'm in Kent, but unfortunately my local library only has Kelly directories for the local towns (or so I believe), but I will check next time I go in there. Karen

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Feb 2004 17:58

May be worth trying www historicaldirectories org for a Kelly's directory? Pauline

John

John Report 16 Feb 2004 15:54

Thanks Karen and Pauline. I will try your suggestions tonight and see what comes up. John