Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thegenealogist

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 11 Feb 2004 22:45

has anyone used this website and how good is it. http://thegenealogist.sandn.net/coverage.php

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Feb 2004 07:59

I've just got the 1871 london census index on subscription. My only (liitle) bugbear is that when doing their 'advanced' search, you can't sort the results by page no, only list the matching surnames on the whole piece, (alphabetically). I was going to raise this with them. They were extremely helpful when I first signed on, as I found that on the plain search, a particular name came up, but when I went to 'advanced' search, that piece number to match it wasn't there. They fixed the problem and extended my subscription without being asked. Pauline

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Feb 2004 15:15

What we all should remember is that what is offered (at 5quid/90 days) is a subscription to the index, not the census itself. So, you don't pick up in-laws, visitors, grandchildren, servants (as if!) whose surnames are different. You still need to look at the census page itself. Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if those got offered on pay-per-view at some later stage. Pauline

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Feb 2004 19:19

I will bare that in mind, if it is exactly like the census indexes you can buy, I doubt I will find what I am looking for. Thanks, Siobhan