Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yet another Army/MOD question....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 11 Feb 2004 20:56

Hi There, I have a copy of my Great Grandfathers marriage certificate which shows his rank, serial number and army regiment. This along with the date of his marriage are about all anyone knows of him (My dad knew he was in the York & Lanc Regiment). Does anyone know if the MOD do specific person searches, or whether the regiment still exists. This is the only way I can think of finding his birth/parents/siblings etc Heres hoping Kay

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Feb 2004 21:01

You may (or not) find this helpful. There's a contact link at the bottom http://www(.)rotherhamunofficial(.)co(.)uk/culture/museums/ylregiment(.)htm

Seasons

Seasons Report 11 Feb 2004 21:56

There's a York & Lancaster Regimental Association in Sheffield Endcliffe Hall, Endcliffe Vale Rd, Sheffield S10 3EU They may be able to help especially as you has his rank and service number and could perhaps advise where to go from here.

Kay

Kay Report 11 Feb 2004 22:10

Thanks very much I'm off to check these out now

Jane

Jane Report 12 Feb 2004 11:17

Kay, Depending on the date of your Gt Grandfather's service and whether or not he survived it, his army records might be at the Public Record Office. Have a look at the online catalogue PROCAT - you get there from the main PRO website. Take a look at the WO97 series first - it's organised alphabetically, so check the number of files in the series then guess about where your surname would come and put the code in the top right hand box - e.g. WO97/2034. It then comes up with a page showing you what's in that file - then you can judge from there. If you think his records are there, you'll then need to post a request on this board to ask some nice member to pick them up for you - whichever Washington you live in, it's a long way from Kew! Regs Jane

Samantha

Samantha Report 12 Feb 2004 19:16

Hi Kay Try this website. http://www(.)mod.uk/contacts/army_records(.)htm I've just sent off for my grandfather's army records and it costs £25. It'll take 4-6 months to come through. Sam x

Kay

Kay Report 12 Feb 2004 19:37

THanks everyone, I've now got a few more avnues to go down

John

John Report 13 Feb 2004 06:45

One of my great uncles was in Y/L Reg and died in 1st WW. Amazon has a book about the Regiment: The York and Lancaster Regiment Jane Davies List Price: £9.99 Our Price: £6.99 Availability: usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days. Product Details: Paperback 128 pages (30 June, 2000) Publisher: Tempus Publishing; ISBN: 075242047X Category(ies): History From the Back Cover This book shows the illustrious history of the York and Lancaster Regiment, or the 'young and lovelies' (one of their numerous nicknames), and illustrates the regiment's service around the globe. It shows the regiment its earliest days in the 65th and 86th Regiments of Foot when they saw action in Guadeloupe, Martinique and Havana in the Seven Years War, as early as 1752 and the 65th and in East India as the 85th to amalgamation due to Cardwell's military reforms in 1881, to disbandment in 1968. With over 200 photographs from the regimental archives in the York and Lancaster Museum in Rotherham, the book illustrates the regiment's service around the world in war and peace, showing the gallant action of both regular, volunteer and territorial forces. The author has constructed a book that will provide old and new soldiers with a nostalgic look at the recent past, as well as tracing the regiment's more distant history. This endearing collection provides an unparalleled insight into the York and Lancaster Regiment and gives a glimpse at many of the men who served with the regiment both at work and leisure. Most of these photographs are in print for the first time and will provide nostalgic pleasure for many. Happy Reading!

Kay

Kay Report 13 Feb 2004 18:29

Thanks for that John, I'll let my dad know - he might buy it!!!!!