Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems uploading Gedcom file.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debs

Debs Report 11 Feb 2004 07:43

Help!!!!!! I regularly delete and upload a new tree using a Gedcom file. I've never had a problem doing this until now. I deleted my tree as normal but the gedcom file won't upload. My data seems to be sent ok to GC but I never receive a response. I now have no tree on the site and am so frustrated. I;ve uploaded successfully to Gencircles, Rootsweb ok. Is there a limit to the size of file GC will accept? Has anyone encountered similar problems? I don't want to type all the info in again. Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice?

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 11 Feb 2004 09:57

This is a regular problem with GC. I don't know what genealogy software you are using but one workaround that worked for me is to load your gedcom into PAF5 (free from LDS site) and then export it back as an Gedcom 5.5 Ansel file. Then reload this into GC. This is the format GC prefers. Bob

Debs

Debs Report 11 Feb 2004 12:54

Robert Thank you so much for the advice. The GC support team have asked me to email them the file so hopefully they can help but if not I will take your advice and use it for future reference. For everyone on here that's linked to my tree - sorry my trees empty hopefully will have it fixed soon. Feeling a bit less stressed out. Debbie

Debs

Debs Report 11 Feb 2004 13:58

Robert Tried what you suggested. Even that doesn't work. The upload never finishes. Just keeps going and going and then the info never gets to my tree. Waiting for a reply from technical support. Thanks for your help anyway. By the way I'm using Family Historian latest version as my program. Haven't encountered this problem before. Wondered how big a file GC could take. Uploads everywhere else in seconds - such a shame as everyone here is so kind and helpful. Well I hope technical support can help or I'll be typing five hundred records in again. Debbie

Simon

Simon Report 11 Feb 2004 16:34

Deborah I also had the same problem a while ago and I use Family Historian too. I told GC about the problem and asked if there was a problem with the size of the file. They replied just to say thanks for bringing this problem to their notice, that it had been resolved and I should try again. I did and it worked and has worked since, but I don't know what the problem was. If there is a problem with Family Historian GEDCOM files, I would be very grateful to know if you find anything out. Regards Simon

Debs

Debs Report 11 Feb 2004 17:48

Simon I will let you know what happens. Sent technical support the file as requested and waiting reply. They haven't acknowledged receiving the file yet. I hope there isn't a problem with the Family Historian software. It uploaded to PAF in a few seconds but even the PAF file won't upload to GC. Is everyone else uploading ok at the moment? Does anyone know why everything has to be deleted, then uploaded again? Gencircles just has an update button so you don't have to delete everything. Glad yours turned out ok in the end Simon. Hopefully I will get my problem resolved too soon as is driving me nuts!!! Debbie

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 11 Feb 2004 20:52

Hi Debbie; I had the very same problem using Family Tree Maker. I spent over 3 hours trying to load my file to GC. In the end I got fed up, signed out and signed back in again later and...there it was!! I emailed the GC support as I keep getting message when I log on telling me there is a relationship error and to contact them! I did and they told me there was no problem! The message is stll there! I aldso found that about 80 people did not load (or show up) on GC that were on the original file! I will be doing another delete and reload soon and can't wait for all the fun and games ..... NOT!! ;) Sonja in Oz

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Feb 2004 22:46

Still no contact from GC.... and still unable to upload my tree to this site!!! Had no problems updating my tree on Gencircles, anyone got any ideas what maybe I am doing wrong? all i get is frozen progress bar and no uploads. Thanks Karen

Debs

Debs Report 12 Feb 2004 06:43

Karen I don't think you're doing anything wrong as I have absolutely the same problem. Still no reply from technical support. It is obviously a GC problem as the other sites work ok. I just hope they fix it soon as it's so frustrating. I've not had this problem before and won't be deleting my tree again in a hurry. Thanks everyone for your replies. At least I know it's not just me. Debbie

Adrian

Adrian Report 12 Feb 2004 07:02

I am also having problems uploading GEDCOM now. I tried uploading an older file, which had previously uploaded without any problems, but that file no longer uploads. I hope that support finds an answer to this soon, as it is so much easier and faster to maintain my family tree offline. Adrian

Debs

Debs Report 12 Feb 2004 12:34

Adrian I hope for a swift solution to this problem too but 2 days after problem occurred I've still had no word from GC technical support to say what is going on. If anyone uploads successfully, please let me know the secret. Debbie

Debs

Debs Report 12 Feb 2004 19:03

Hello again to all of you who are in limbo with no tree due to failure of Gedcom to upload. I've just emailed GC support again as no reply from them. They haven't even acknowledged receiving the file they asked me to send so hopefully that's just an oversight because they're working hard to fix the problem. I'll update you all when I get a reply. I'm beginning to think that I might have to type all the info in again. I'm missing all those emails from people interested in my tree - it's far too quiet in my email box. Hopefully I'll be up and running by the weekend - fingers crossed. Debbie

Judy

Judy Report 12 Feb 2004 19:27

I don't know if this will correct your problem of posting your tree to GC but it did help others who were experiencing the same problem. Even if it doesn't correct the problem of uploading your tree, the settings below should be changed. Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4 A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Where it says NUMBER OF DAYS TO SAVE IN HISTORY, change that to "0" and click on APPLY. 5. Then at the top of this box are labled tabs; click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Clicking on EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED and changing the number of days to save in history prevents unecessary temporary internet files from accumulating on your hard drive. Temporary Internet Files will still need to be emptied as part of your routine maintenence routine but there won't be as much to empty. Judy

Adrian

Adrian Report 12 Feb 2004 21:30

I posted the problem to GC support who sent me a reply saying that the problem has been fixed, thanking me for telling them. I tried uploading the same GEDCOM file again when I got home this afternoon and it worked. I now have my family tree in GC again. I don't know what they changed, but at least it works again for me. I still think that they could improve the upload procedure and actually provide some progress indicator. Regards, Adrian Holland

Debs

Debs Report 13 Feb 2004 12:17

Hi Support contacted me to say the problem was now resolved but my tree is still not uploading but am actually getting an error message now. Glad you're up and running Adrian but still no joy here, Anyone else still having problems or is it just me. Debbie

Debs

Debs Report 13 Feb 2004 12:31

Hooray!!! I'm up and running again. Thanks for everyone's support and advice. I won't be in a hurry to delete my tree again though. Debbie

Debs

Debs Report 13 Feb 2004 15:50

Hi Karen Glad you're back too! Hope everyone's uploading ok now. Debbie