Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 10 Feb 2004 15:33

In the next few days i want to do a census look for my great uncle who's name is Enoch Jones he lived in Rose Cottage Waunfawr Llandadarn Aberystwyth but i have tryed before without success as you good people have told me there are hundreds of Enoch Joneses, But i also know he had a lodger by the name of Bodfan Anwyl, Would that name work or does it only use the head of household for that address in the search, i'm waiting for a birth certificate (long overdue) which should confirm the address to be correct Thanks David

Trish

Trish Report 10 Feb 2004 15:35

Hi David, if it's the 81 census you're searching you can look up the other name you have and it will still give you all the household.

David

David Report 10 Feb 2004 15:43

Hi Trish It's the 1901 census David

Trish

Trish Report 10 Feb 2004 15:46

As far as I know only if you pay

Gen

Gen Report 10 Feb 2004 16:40

Hi David, Had a look with the decoder and there are 299 Enoch Jones' on the 1901 census so one of them should be your Great Uncle, could not find a Bodfan Anwyl though, if you want a list of Enoch Jones let me know and I will send it to you. Gen

Janet

Janet Report 10 Feb 2004 16:46

If you know when he was born, and say how old he would have been in 1901, that would cut down the 299 to more manageable proportions. Jan.

Angela

Angela Report 10 Feb 2004 17:13

Is it Llanbadarn?

Valice in

Valice in Report 10 Feb 2004 20:07

1901 seems to be badly transcribed, most likely by folk who don't understand the Welsh language either, so could be misspelt. An L can look like an S for instance. Val

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 10 Feb 2004 21:16

Hi David, If you use the decoder and enter Anwyl as the surname and search for males in the Aberystwyth area it comes back with only one possibility ( as others are in other areas) E Awyl age 34 Born Chester , A professor in W C W School. So we need at least an age for your uncle to try and narrow down the jones part, if you're waiting for a cert you must know his age in 1901. The more details we have the more able we are to help :) Sioux

David

David Report 11 Feb 2004 18:05

Hi Everone Finally got my certificate, it tells me that they did'nt live at Rose cottage Waunfawr as i thought, so Bodfan Anwyl prossibly was'nt living with the Jones family at that time. But i now know my grandmothers name was Margaret Ioine Jones might be easyer to trace her the address is Waungau (gam) (gav) (gaw)can't make out the last three, Raenor Upper, Bodfan was a Professor and his age sounds about right, Thank you all for your help David

David

David Report 11 Feb 2004 18:09

Angela Yes it was Llanbadarn would guess the new address would also be in that region David