Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Collection of old postcards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 10 Feb 2004 10:15

Ages ago I bought a collection of old postcards. They've been lying around the house since then, and as some of them have address on I thought that they may be of interest to people here. I'll list what I have below (some of the info is a bit vague) and if any are of interest to you, drop me an email with your address and I'll send it to you. (If I get more than one request for a postcard, I'll just have to do first come etc..) Miss GRAY 207 High Street, Hounslow Middx 1916 Robert CUNNINGHAM Horestey?, Glenlogan, Sorny? By Mauchling, Ayrshire (no date, but old style script writing) Miss STEPNEY 13 The Causeway, Horsham, Sussex 1905 Mabel DALLIMORE, c/o Wilton House, Grosvenor Street, Cheltenham 1935 Edie DALLIMORE as above Master Peter GIBBS Leamington House, Pittville, Cheltenham 1935 Julie GIBBS 6 Presbury Road, Cheltenham 1945 Auntie M GEYTON, Boothferry Rd, Hessle, E.Yorks Martha? SMITH High St. Rothwell, Kettering 1909 Gladys SMITH as above 1904? J P SMITH Esq as above 1918 Mrs S MIDDLETON, West End, Welford, Rugby 1904 Miss MESSIE?, Redbraes, Edingburgh 1905 Miss S SIMPSON, Antrim? Rd, Lisburn, Ireland 1904 Cathie? ANDERSON, Rose Villa, Stanley, Perthshire 1912 Regards Teresa

Hilary

Hilary Report 10 Feb 2004 19:14

I have some similar ones and have often wondered how to share it. Some clever person needs to set up a website - or is there already one out there?

Jane

Jane Report 10 Feb 2004 20:02

Hi, there is already a postcard index online at www(.) members(.) aol(.) com/cbucks785/postcardindex (.)htm. You have to pay £1.00 for the owner to look in the index to see if there are any names you want, if there are you have to pay more for him to send the postcards to you, but it is potluck i think. Think I'll stick to looking at car boot sales for now. Jane.

Diane

Diane Report 10 Feb 2004 20:45

I don't mean to discourage you but do you really think that it's likely someone is looking who may be interested. It's not possible to search the message board so the person would have to be looking within the day you put the information here. I often think a lot of people are putting information here that clutters the boards.

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 11 Feb 2004 09:50

I suppose you're right, hadn't really thought of that. Just trying to return some of the help I've received. I have received emails for a couple of cards though. Teresa

Jane

Jane Report 11 Feb 2004 15:17

Teresa, I was interested, that's why i looked. Jane.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Feb 2004 16:38

Teresa, Don't be discouraged, it is highly possible that someone will see a card that interests them. I am only sorry none are of any use to me. Much better than letting them go to waste. Thanks you for thinking of us. Ann Glos

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 11 Feb 2004 17:41

go to waste? Collectors pay good money for old picture postcards. People make a living buying and selling them. I saw one I fancied at a family history fair priced at 8 quid, too much for me, but I've heard of prices up to 30 and more

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 11 Feb 2004 19:20

My grandmother was well travelled and would buy postcards from each place she visted and place them in her phot albums along with her own photo's. She has some very interesting 1950 postcards of places like Wookey Hole in Somerset. Dublin mini's in black and white many of Austria Switzerland and Germany. As they have been in the photo albums they are protected and I'm sure will have yeided her a good return. I think there is a bigger interest in them then we realised.

Mary

Mary Report 12 Feb 2004 17:03

My family name is SMITH and some of them originate from the Kettering area, not sure whether it would be Rothwell or not and I'd have to check with my Mum on whether the names ring a bell with her. With Smith being such a common name its hard to sift through who is actually out family and who isn't. To make things more difficult I married a SMITH first time round so there's another lot ! I do know there was a Gladys among them but couldn't be certain as to whether she was Rothwell or not. If you've got a scanner you can e mail them to me and I'll print them off or if you want to take the chance and send them I'll give you my address. If I find they don't belong to my family I'll happily return them. I know how precious these old things are. I've got postcards myself that I've bought from second hand shops and often wondered who the families are how they come to dispose of these sort of items. I never could. I'll leave it to you anyway. Mary Brooke

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 13 Feb 2004 08:25

Mary, I've e-mailed you.