Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records office advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 9 Feb 2004 19:03

I am going to my local records office in Lincoln soon, I have never been before and I would like to know what sort of things I need to take with me. I would like to get back further on some of my lines and I would be pleased of any help that you can give me. Sue............

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Feb 2004 19:31

First you may need to book a space on fiche reader or film viewer.Ask about any I.D.details you will need to show. Take pencils and note book,in a see-through zip wallet-usually no bags allowed in Record Offices. I find old fashioned exercise books suit me and I can then put surname in margin and information along the line, in main area.Write down exactly what fiche etc. you view and dates covered. Go armed with what you are trying to find, written out clearly. If you find information in one census, check another year to see if birthplace etc. are the same, then look for parish records to confirm this. - Good luck!

George

George Report 9 Feb 2004 20:30

Hi Sue Was at Lincoln last week. You need to book in advance, tell them what you are wanting to look at. Parish records,maps, will or st caths. you need two passport photos and a passport or other id.You are only allowed loose paper and pencils. No folders or books allowed inside. Go early so you can park around the back in their car park. NCP across the road is £5.50 for all day, free in their car park. Like Gwyneth said, do a look for list before you go or you spend half your time in the locker area. Good luck George