Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I look now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Feb 2004 14:03

Upon finding my G Grandfather's Richard Chantler marriage cert 1881 St Marylebone I found that his father was a Peter MacGregor Chantler - pianoforte Tuner. Richard was born abt 1861 in Kentish Town. I have been searching for about two years for Richard Birth cert - nothing. So I have been trying to find his father's Peters birth/marriage cert although I have no idea when and were he was born/married. Where can I look now? Any guide would be appreciated Linda

Mystified

Mystified Report 9 Feb 2004 17:25

Only thing I can come up with, unless you have already tried, is to try and obtain the parish records for Kentish town. Possibly, although he should have been. he wasn't registered on the GRO?

Hilary

Hilary Report 9 Feb 2004 19:29

I would try 1837online for the 1860's.

Sinead

Sinead Report 9 Feb 2004 19:33

Hi Linda, Have you tried getting in touch with the Mormons? They should have 1841,1851 and 1861 census returns for the area. This should give you his age and origin. Sinead

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2004 08:22

Thanks all for your pointers, unfortunately I have tried all and come up with zilch even trying variants of surname. The kind people that offer to do look-ups have delved for me and are hitting the same walls. Never mind - fight the good fight - the little so and so's must be out there somewhere. happy hunting Linda

Janet

Janet Report 14 Feb 2004 15:50

Ages for whatever reason were not always correct. I would do a trawl of at least 5 years either side of the supposed birth, 10 would be better. You can do this through the GRO in any big library or if you live near London a trip to the Family Record Centre to look through the books. You can try Free BMD but remember they are not all there. You have looked for two years but that is not enough. I am also looking at your marriage date of 1881 and your possible birth date of 1861. Remember that at this time being under 21 would require parental agreement to marriage and the underage would probably be reflected on the Cert. Most men at this time would be more likely to be at least 24/25 on marriage and most often nearer 30 unless a child was on the way!! Pianoforte Tuner would probably need some form of apprenticeship and apprenticeships did not finish until age 21. It is doubtful he would marry as soon as apprenticeship was finished as he would be virtually penniless for a few years. I presume you have the marriage cert? Have you tried the 1881 census? That should give his age and place of birth and would be a better bet than any earlier census. Janet