Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Feb 2004 13:56

See below.

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Feb 2004 14:03

I have an Annie Goodwin in my tree and have been lucky enough to have been given the original marriage and death certificates for this person, both of which indicate that she was born in 1856. I have searched the BMD's for 1855-1857 and there are only four Annie Goodwins listed of which only one is in the Derbyshire area which I know she definately was born in. I sent for the birth certificate which lists her mother as Eliza Goodwin (so presumably illigitimate as no maiden name listed) and no father listed. On Annies marriage certificate her father is listed as Henry Goodwin. My instinct is saying that this is not the correct birth certificate but none of the others could be possibilities. I suppose it's possible that her birth was not registered. What do you think? I'm usually very logical in my thoughts but today I can't think straight. Where do I go from here? Sam xx

Samantha

Samantha Report 8 Feb 2004 14:04

Sorry Viv, My mother kept interrupting my typing! She is cooking me a lovely roast dinner so I shouldn't moan!! Sam x

Gail

Gail Report 8 Feb 2004 14:14

Hi Samantha, I have had the same problem with my Gt Gt Grandfather, James Blears b. 1861 in Salford. I have sent for 3 certs, none of which were the right one. I have read on the boards that it only became law that Births were registered, can't remember exactly which year, but it was after 1861, I think!! So I have hit the brick wall with this one. Regards Gail.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 8 Feb 2004 14:52

Hi Sam, I do not know if this will help, I am doing a family history course at my local college and we have just done illegitimacy, Usually the father is not mentioned on the certificate if the couple are not married or not living together.if she was single and the family were prepared to look after her she did not have to name the father. otherwise it was the workhouse. if a couple married within a month or so of the birth it was assumed he was the father It seems to me that everyone seems to get married only when they were pregnant. as we ahave been told to always look for a birth withing 9 months of the marriage. and itseems to happen without fail good luck#Rosie Pippard

Kim

Kim Report 8 Feb 2004 15:27

It seems to be the case to only get married if you had too. ie if there were responsibilities,.... KIM

Rosi

Rosi Report 8 Feb 2004 17:29

It seems it was often that the girl HAD to be pregnant - thus proving her fecundity - before the chap would marry her. She had to be able to produce an heir - or no can do a wedding.

Samantha

Samantha Report 9 Feb 2004 11:56

Thanks to you all for your replies! Sam xx

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 9 Feb 2004 14:21

Just some points If you can't find a birth on GRO it might be on the local registers if you know the district. If not there it might be on church records, people believed baptism counted as registration. From 1837 you had to provide details to the registrar on request. From 1874 the parents had to register. If registration was late people would lie about the DOB to avoid penalty. In some areas up to 15% of births are missing. Bob

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 9 Feb 2004 15:30

main thing you need to do is find Annie in the 1861 census People tell diplomatic white lies at weddings, don't want to spoil the day by embarrassing anybody. Sometimes they make up a father's name. Obviously the surname has to match, but the first name they give might well be the real father's first name