Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which one do I send for?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Feb 2004 15:49

I want to send for the birth cert. of a Joseph Thompson born Maryport, Cumberland 1838. Maryport registered at Cockermouth and on freebmd there are 3 Joseph Thompsons for Cockermouth in 1838 - 2 on June quarter page 81 & 89 and one on September quarter page 76. I have no idea who the father of this man is, so can't use that, but wondered if I stipulate Maryport, would that do it? Any/All suggestions welcome.

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Feb 2004 16:06

Barbara Why not order to the local register office in Cockermouth. You can write what you are looking for and you will get a full refund if they don't find it. I needed a George Smith from Hinkley. there were 3 all the same year. I knew the parents so ordered from Leicester. No problem. The addresses for register offices are on www(.)genuki(.)co(.)uk remove brackets Margaret

Michele

Michele Report 7 Feb 2004 16:10

Hi Barbara Having had a look on the LDS site there is only one Joseph Thompson that was christened at Maryport - 15 July 1838, no date of birth although it does rule out the September birth option. His parents names were Joseph Thompson and Jane. Hope this helps you narrow it down to the right cert. Michele

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Feb 2004 17:14

Hi Margaret & Michele, Thank you for the replies, they are both very helpful to me. Margaret, I am in Canada and have only ever sent to to GRO for certificates - payment with a credit card (I believe you have to send payment and return postage with your request from a local office?). If, as Michele says, there is only one Joseph Thompson for Maryport maybe I should just specify this on the request to GRO? Thanks again. Barbara

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Dec 2007 08:01

Nudging for Vanessa

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Dec 2007 10:41

1841 England Census
about Joseph Thompson
Name: Joseph Thompson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Where born: Cumberland, England

Civil Parish: Canonby Cross
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent
County/Island: Cumberland

Street address:

Registration district: Cockermouth
Sub-registration district: Maryport
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Betsy Thompson 5
Jane Thompson 30
Jane Thompson 7
Joseph Thompson 35
Joseph Thompson 3
William Thompson 9
Wilson Thompson 8 Mo
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 161; Book: 12; Civil Parish: Canonby Cross; County: Cumberland; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 17; Page: 29;

BLAST OLD THREAD!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Dec 2007 10:44

Jim

This thread is almost FOUR YEARS out of date.....I can't imagine why someone thought it needing digging up!

Reg

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Dec 2007 11:29

Hi Reg
Bit of a downer but it was good practice
and maybe it will help Vanessa.
Merry Christmas
.............Jim

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Dec 2007 12:08

.....ohh err, sorry....

mind you, in anyone wants practice searching, could they see if they could find that thread on writing to local register offices?

I was in a hurry this morning, and this was the nearest I could find!

Apologies again

- and Merry Christmas both