Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How To: Family Tree Magazine

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 7 Feb 2004 09:23

Hello everyone. I've been a member of FriendsReunited for a LONG time but have only just registered here as my mother wants me to start tracing her side of our family tree so I thought here was a pretty good place to start. Anyway I thought I'd mention just incase there's anyone who doesn't know, that there's currently a magazine out (? Well I just picked it up from the newsagent a few days ago so I presume it has only just come out) in the PC How To series called Family Tree. Now let me say I have NOTHING to do with this magazine's editorial/production team, I'm just trying to let you know about this thing. It's issue 25 in the PC How To and some of the cover headlines are things such as - Packed with guides and expert tips Ancestry made easy Online Archives: How to find all the info you'll need on the web 98 pages of nice glossy, A4 sized pages but the best thing about it is the free CD you get on the front with 50+ free programs on it! Amongst them build a coat of arms; organise your research; draw your family tree; design your own website; and also includes PC essentials such as Acrobat Reader, Adaware, OpenOffice, SmartFTP, WinAmp, ZoneAlarm, graphics drivers and much much more. At only 4.99 (uk pounds) it looks great value to me. Lots of VERY useful information to help you get started ... which is why I bought it. Look I know this might sound as if I'm just plugging something I have a vested and/or financial interest in but that's really not the case. I just want to let people know before this disappears off the shelf or to help people whose newsagents may not have got a copy in yet. if it helps - http://www.pc-howto.co.uk L!ve Publishing in Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 4NP. I have phone and fax numbers on request should anyone want/need it but I'm sure if you ask your newsagent, you should be able to place a customer order. Good luck. You never know, one day sooner rather than later, I'll probably be asking YOU for help! :) BCNU Nick (Manchester)

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 7 Feb 2004 10:54

Morning Nick, Nice to hear your enthusiasm :) You'll find that Family Tree Magazine is a monthly production and we're currently on issue 8 So I suppose it's fairly new still. I agree the CD is a great bonus and I'm currently working using Heredis which is a family tree planner they gave away with issue 7. Best of luck tracing your tree. Any problems ask away. Everyone is very helpful here. Sioux

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Feb 2004 11:12

I think Nick is talking about a different mag to Your Family Tree. I had a similar computer mag a while ago, I may look for this new one as my old one doesn't appear to work well with XP, Thanks for the info Nick and good luck with your research. Diane