Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

names been deleted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2004 23:39

I have been on 1901 census decoder i wrote down a john davison born in 1886 in chester le street. however down i can't find it again ????? where has this name gone????

Steven

Steven Report 6 Feb 2004 23:57

Hi Susan check this out "1901 Census Decoder Problem?? -Rod Clarkson" it's on the bottom of page 3 it will explain what is going on. Steve.

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Feb 2004 00:08

He's there - did you enter surname and forename in the wrong order? I just entered it without the age and got two names, one 15 and one 31.

Karen

Karen Report 7 Feb 2004 08:37

I have had problems using the 1901 census but not because of technical difficulties. I have rellies in Birmingham and have found that just putting that in the "where born" box does not bring everyone up as the transcribers have but other variations in as well like B'ham, B Ham, B'Ham, BHAM, B'ham Warwickshire. Now when I search for a rellie born in B'ham I have to use several combinations to try and find them. Really annoying, but if it were that easy, it wouldn't be so much fun!!! Karen

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 7 Feb 2004 09:28

That's the problem with codes, isn't it? Unless you're all singing from the same song sheet, as it were, these things are bound to happen. Mind you, as you say, if life were that simple, where would the challenge be? .. although as I'm just starting out on this road to exploration, maybe I shouldn't be saying that? lol. Cya Nick (Manchester)