Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do i need a marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2004 22:51

I have managed to find when my g grandfather was married but unsure if i should order it (or even if it is possible for me to) What information will i find on it, which will be useful. thanks susan.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Feb 2004 22:58

The info you will find on a marriage cert is as follows. Date and place of marriage Bride and Grooms names Age at marriage of both partners Whether they had been married before or not Their profession Their residence at the time of marriage Both of their fathers names And both of their fathers professions It will also give you the names of both of the witnesses - which sometimes turn out to be family members. Jeanette

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 6 Feb 2004 23:01

Susan, If you know the GRO reference number, then go ahead and order it. As well as giving you the date and place of the wedding, it will give the wife's name including her maiden name, fathers names and ocupations on both sides, age at time of marriage (be a bit sceptical about that - I've got several instances where I know the marriage age is wrong). It will also give address of both parties at the time of marriage, and their occupations as well. There will also be the witnesses names, who are quite often family members. It will cost you £7 if you are resident in the UK, and if you are serious about tracing the tree back, something which is a wealth of information for you. Good luck Pauline