Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't know how or where to start.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2004 21:26

Please can someone help i know limited facts, but unsure what to do with them . Ithought it would be simply a matter of looking on a web site and finding loads of stuff. but it doesn't seem to be that way. I know that my granddad John Davison was born in 1922 he married Marjorie Atkinson. I also know that My G Granddad was named John Davison (think they liked that name) Don't know when he was born but chester le street has been mentioned. How do i find all of my missing pieces and is it really difficult. Thanks susan.

Sharon

Sharon Report 6 Feb 2004 21:48

Susan since you know when your grandfather was born start off by finding his birth certificate. This will give you his mothers name and maiden name and will enable you to search for his parents marriage certificate. you can look on websites like freebmd - www.freebmd.org.uk (which is free but not complete) or you can go to the local library and look at the microfilm of the gro indexes or you can try using www.1837online.com (but this one you have to pay for). get a couple of family history books out of the library they are a mine of information Sharon

Michele

Michele Report 6 Feb 2004 21:49

Hi Susan There is a 6yr old John Davison on the 1891 census born in Chester Le Street: Davison, William 36 Head Chester-le-Street, Durham Head Chester le Street Durham Stone mason Davison, Isabella 25 wife Chester-le-Street, Durham Wife Chester le Street Durham Davison, William 15 son Chester-le-Street, Durham Son Chester le Street Durham Davison, Mary 13 daur Chester-le-Street, Durham Daughter Chester le Street Durham scholar Davison, James 11 son Chester-le-Street, Durham Son Chester le Street Durham scholar Davison, John 6 son Chester-le-Street, Durham Son Chester le Street Durham scholar Davison, Elizabeth J 3 daur Chester-le-Street, Durham Daughter Chester le Street Durham Davison, Robert 1 son Chester-le-Street, Durham Son Chester le Street Durham Living in Foundry Lane, Chester Le Street

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2004 21:55

So i'm taking it i have to buy his birth certificate. Is that right. My grandad had a younger sister Mona they moved to duncaster so she was maybe born there. I think my g grandmother was called Jemima, . Thanks for your help so far.

Mystified

Mystified Report 7 Feb 2004 08:25

Susan, If I can give you hope, all I knew about my grandad was his christian name and that of course the fact that he married my g/mother. First I tracked down their marriage and bought the certificate, this told me his father, this enabled me to find him on the 1901 census. This then gave me a wife etc. It took me ages to find birth of ggrandad, as many on here will know. (I am talking a long time here) The thrill of finding him though proved worth it in the end though. On that branch of my tree I am now back to 1798 and all proven. You cannot find your family tree in 10 mins on the internet, it is just a great help. Genealogy involves going to record offices or getting some kind person to help who lives near to the one you want. Genealogy can be as cheap or as dear as you want, but it is a fascinating hobby. Good luck and always ask for help on GC and in time you will be able to help others. John