Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I know?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 5 Feb 2004 23:10

If I think a relative was in a workhouse aged 17 how do I know if it's the right one if there are no other relatives listed? If it is the right one, how often did people leave a workhouse and get married? Naomi

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 6 Feb 2004 00:39

Not sure... but I have one name in my Tree who was in the Workhouse as a boy with his father. He grew up and later married.

Irene

Irene Report 6 Feb 2004 00:49

I would think that the only way they would leave was to find a regular job, after all that would be the reason they were in there. Finding work then was a lot harder, and if they fell on hard times the workhouse was a lot better than nothing. I can remember my father saying when I was little (a long time ago) that the mention of the workhouse was enough to make you quake with fear. Just looking at some of the pictures is enough for me. Irene

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 6 Feb 2004 14:21

Thanks guys, Think I will see if I can find some other information before I take it this person is definitley my relative. Cheers Naomi