Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

upgrade vri???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 09:48

i have just inserted my vri disc and it told me to reinstall. so i reinstalled it and now im being told to upgrade to version 4.02 (ive got 4.0) why is this.i dont want to have to buy another set!!!!! please can anyone help susie

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Feb 2004 12:02

When I open VRI (Version 2), on the first screen (top right) it says Version 4.02 1/31/02 - what does it say on yours? (On the disk itself it says Viewer 4.0)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 12:16

when i open mine it says 4.0 4/19/01 its been ok until today on the disc it says 4.0 susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 13:44

hi dawn thanks. i thought it was just me.its so strange that its happened. i cant think why can you. i was so annoyed this morning when it happened grrrrrrrrr!!! i wont buy another one if thats wat they tell us. susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2004 16:35

I have viewer 2.0 and its working perfectly guys

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 16:37

she i wonder why mine isnt:(( it was fine yesterday but not today. how the heck can i upgrade it? susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 17:47

hi dawn thanx a lot susie

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2004 18:33

Hi Susie, had trouble with mine a while ago and this is the reply from LDS: First of all, you only need to install Viewer 4. Do not install Viewer 2. To completely uninstall the Viewer and have a clean installation, please use the following steps: Open Control Panel. Double-click Add or Remove Programs. Find and highlight Family History Resource File Viewer, and click the Remove button. Click Yes to confirm that you are removing the Family Resource File Viewer. Note: If any other versions of the Family History Resource File Viewer are installed, you must remove them as well. The computer may need to access the installation discs for the earlier versions of the viewer during the uninstall process. Once the InstallShield Wizard has completed removing the program, close the Add or Remove Programs window. Open My Computer. Double-click the C: drive. Double-click the Program Files folder. Highlight the RFViewer folder, and press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the folder. Close all open windows. Empty the Recycle bin. Click Start, and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. On the left part of the window, click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click the plus sign (+) next to SOFTWARE. Click the plus sign (+) next to Family History. Highlight Viewer, and press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the key. Close the Registry Editor. Restart the computer. Install only the highest version of the Resource File Viewer that you have. If you have the 1881 Canadian Census or the Vital Records Index—British Isles—Second Edition, you must reinstall Disc 1 to update the Viewer. Sincerely, Family History Support Hope it helps Sue

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 18:38

sue thankyou so much for that. i have only ever had version 4.i uninstalled and reinstalled this morning and still nothing. i will now try again using your instructions lol this should be fun!! its strange how it happens isnt it.for no apparent reason oh well,i'll now go and do it and will let you know how i get on thanx sue susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Feb 2004 18:56

sue thankyou,thankyou,thankyou its working again thankyou so much susie