Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on Getting Started..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katy

Katy Report 4 Feb 2004 13:02

I hope someone could give me some advice on how to get started on researching my family tree. I have already started building my tree with my immediate and living family and have also asked them for details on grandparents etc. After that - I'm not really sure what I should do! Any advice on this would be really appreciated Kate

Bob

Bob Report 4 Feb 2004 13:16

Katy, The next step depends on how far back you get from your family. If you can get to 1901 the cenus may show new information. Otherwise it will be certificates or church records to get parents names. Good luck and say good by to sanity.lol Bob

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Feb 2004 13:28

Spread your interrogation net as wide as possible, particularly including aunts and uncles, they won't always be around and the information they can give will make it easier to identify names in the 1901 and 1881 censuses.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Feb 2004 13:54

All good advice above. I would suggest that you include a source and write down any snippets of family tales eg. Great Aunt Ada says she had a brother, Bob in the navy. You never know when the information will help you. When you check parish records and indexes, write down the dates checked and what surnames you were searching and for which parish, even if you find nothing useful. It will save time going over the same info. at a later date. Good luck.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 4 Feb 2004 23:41

Katy If you have a local studies Dept in your Library go there and ask them to show you the St Catherine's index and the census's, take with you note book and pen and any details of grandparents, also if you have any details or rough idea of baptism's and burials ask the staff to show you the Parish registers. To look at the parish register's which are on film is an experience in itself and far more interesting than looking on the net! Also take down any details or facts that your rellies tell you they may not always be correct but some info is better than none. Welcome to a whole new world I didn't even know what fiche was when I started last year! Regards and good luck Ann,Darlington