Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another electoral role question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Feb 2004 21:34

Hi. I've seen several people mention electoral roles but where can you access them? are they online or do you have to go to the relevant RO? thanks, Caroline

Irene

Irene Report 3 Feb 2004 21:43

Caroline You will have to go to the Local Records office. Not yours but the area you are at. The Electoral Books, what are formed when you fill in on your Electoral papers every October. Don't forget Women didn't get the vote till late so women over 21 didn't appear in the books until 1928. But you can get a lot of information from them. Irene

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Feb 2004 21:49

Thanks Irene, shame I can't go to my local one as that's quite near.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2004 22:09

It depends on where you want the electoral rolls. If you are for example living in Birmingham and you want to access electoral rolls of ancestors who lived in Warwick then you could access the relevant electoral rolls through a big reference library in Warwick. All big libraries hold electoral rolls. Janet

47551 Report 11 Feb 2004 22:28

I have the 2001 role which I bought from Amazon.but if you are looking for old ones, you need to see how far back they keep them for the area you are interested in. If you want a nearly current lookup, just shout. Nesta

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Feb 2004 23:32

Try looking on www(.)b4usearch(.)com. Remove brackets