Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old occupations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 3 Feb 2004 12:17

Please could anyone nudge up the old occupations thread or could anyone tell me what a 'Carman' might be in the 1860's? Many thanks Teresa

Helen

Helen Report 3 Feb 2004 12:25

Someone was asking this the other day and I think the answer was that it was another name for a carter, someone who drives a cart.

Dave

Dave Report 3 Feb 2004 16:04

Hi Teresa, Carman/Charman/Carrier/Carter: - Driver of (horse-drawn) vehicles for transporting goods. Carmen were often employed by railway companies for local deliveries and collections of goods and parcels. Modern day van driver. Also sometimes someone who drove horse-drawn trams was called a Carman. Dave

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 3 Feb 2004 16:56

Thanks all. I too had a carman and did wonder as they hadn't been invented then! Naomi

Steven

Steven Report 3 Feb 2004 18:55

Hi, certain mineworkings had carmen too!

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 3 Feb 2004 20:32

Thank you all for the Carman definitions. It seems to have been a popular occupation in my family. regards Teresa