Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral roll question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tricia

Tricia Report 1 Feb 2004 22:25

I have an address on a birth certificate for 1911. I know that I will not be able to get information from a census until 2011 but can I obtain a list of occupants via electoral rolls from that time? Thanks in advance Tricia

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2004 22:54

Try the county record office for the area. You will only find adult males listed though, as remember, women didn't have the vote. Margaret

Tricia

Tricia Report 1 Feb 2004 23:05

Hi Margaret Thanks for the info. As I am looking for a female it seems the electoral role will not help me at all. Any other ideas will be gratefully received. regards Tricia

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2004 23:37

and the 1911 census will be lacking in a lot of female details as sufferagettes REFUSED to gove their details!

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2004 00:11

From about 1919(?) you get women over 30 on the electoral roll, so you should have a chance if you know where to look. You probably won't have a list by address but you should get an alphabetical list with the name of their street, so if the name isn't too common you could be lucky.

Tricia

Tricia Report 3 Feb 2004 21:00

Hi She and Geoff. Thanks for your replies. It seems that it is 'Back to the drawing board' for me. regards Tricia