Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tracing American Ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 1 Feb 2004 08:58

I am trying to track my American Amcestors. My 3rd great grandfather Henry Chippendale went to America but i don't know when he does not show up on Elliis island but his son who went later is on there with his family. Were do i look to find out information on people who emigrated to the united states

Crista

Crista Report 1 Feb 2004 09:42

Melvyn, The online Ellis Island records only cover the years 1892 to 1924. Remember, this only covers New York and not the other ports. You best bet might be to find him on one of the US censuses. Those list entry and naturalization dates for the US. You can access these on Ancestry.com for about $13 a month. Crista

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 1 Feb 2004 12:27

Hi Melvyn Can I also recommend searching the message boards at Rootsweb. I found my 5th cousin (we share the same 4x great grandfather) on here. He has supplied me with loads of information about my ancestors who emigrated to America. Jeanette

Judy

Judy Report 1 Feb 2004 16:55

Melvyn: I've e-mailed you direct. Judy

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 1 Feb 2004 19:29

Some people took a ship to Canada, then went down to the States, as ships to Canada we less expensive than ships going directly to the States. There is a great website: http://www.ingeneas(.)com/free/index.html (remove brackets) that lists SOME immigrations to Canada. Good luck!