Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY TREE DESIGNER CD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 31 Jan 2004 21:03

THIS CD was free with your family tree magaizine , i spent all evening typing in my details and now come to retrieve andview them and it says can't open the gedcom file >>>>What have I done wrong , do I need to start again... anyone know . I've just put 100 names on it andnow it wont let me see themas its says there is no gedcom win 32 file?? HELP .... KIM

Judy

Judy Report 1 Feb 2004 04:54

Kim.... After you finished inputting your data did you export the information into a .ged file format? If not, at the top of your screen, click on the headings (file, edit, tools, etc...) Look for something that says, something along the lines of EXPORT GEDCOM. That will then walk you through saving the inputted information into .ged format and an openable file. Judy

Kim

Kim Report 1 Feb 2004 09:42

I did but it keeps saying cannot trace gedcom," cannot export" even though It said "gedcom" in the file type box underneath, the information is there i know it is but I don't want to spend a whole evening finding it again.... the message I get is "windows cannot open gedcom file" "type in executable command" c: or" browse." Sorry but I don't know what that computer speak means.... Thankyou Judy.... KIM

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 1 Feb 2004 10:10

Hi KIm, The prolem is Windows does't recognise the .GED format. .GED files have to be opened with a program that wil recognise a .GED file. Off at a slight tangent, I'm using Heredis which was free with Family Tree Mag too. I exported my data as a .GED file and then tried to import it into another free program from them - GedHTree, to make a web page - but it says it can't open that either *Grrr* I only fiddled for a short while as it was late. Can anyone offer us a bit more insight? Sioux

Kim

Kim Report 1 Feb 2004 10:36

I wish I knew that before I put the information in.... because now i can't print it or see it or anything .....KIM

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 1 Feb 2004 11:39

Kim, I had the same problem once and after getting very frustrated my son sussed it for me(he is very technical) but just a thought. At google tye in downloading gedcom and given all the options try www.northnet.com I think there is technical help here, anyway it's worth a try. Pat

Kim

Kim Report 1 Feb 2004 12:43

Thanks have gone on northnet and downlowded gedcom ,but it still says my file is not a valid win32 application..... i need a drink now KIM