Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

jdbgmgr hoax

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bob

Bob Report 31 Jan 2004 17:17

I see from the members board that this hoax is doing the round again. Please do not pass the message on if you receive it, this is how the damage is done by generating emails and loading the web. The file is a java debugging file and only useful if you program in java so if you have deleted it do not worry you probably will not notic the fact. Bob

Bob

Bob Report 31 Jan 2004 18:13

I understand that McAfee has a fix for this if the file has been removed. If you do a search on Google a number of sites are listed with fixes and detailed information. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2004 18:32

In the event that JDBGMGR.EXE was deleted erroneously, the following method may be used to restore the file from backup (see additional information from Microsoft: -- Windows 95 Instructions -- 1) Click START - RUN 2) Type: EXTRACT /A C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN95_09.CAB JDBGMGR.EXE /L C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and hit ENTER NOTE: The location of the CAB files may vary. If this does not work for you, try using your Windows CD-ROM path (ie. D:\Win95). -- End Windows 95 Instructions -- -- Windows 98 Instructions -- Information on using the System File Checker to restore files 1) Click START - RUN, type SFC and hit ENTER 2) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER 3) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files (ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS) (ie. D:\WIN98 where D is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM) 4) Click OK and continue with the restore function -- End Windows 98 Instructions -- -- Windows NT 4 Instructions -- See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q322993 -- End Windows NT 4 Instructions -- -- Windows ME Instructions -- Information on using the System File Checker to restore files 1) Click START - RUN, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER 2) Click the Extract Files button 3) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER 4) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files (ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL) 5) Click OK and continue with the restore function -- End Windows ME Instructions -- -- Windows 2000 Instructions -- 1) Click START - RUN, type expand d:\i386\jdbgmgr.ex_ %windir%\system32 and hit ENTER Note: this assumes that D: is your CD-ROM drive, and that you have the Windows2000 CD-ROM in the drive. If this is not the case, d:\i386 should be replaced with the path to your i386 directory. -- End Windows 2000 Instructions -- -- Windows XP Instructions -- Information on using the System File Checker to restore files 1) Click START - RUN, type MSCONFIG and hit ENTER 2) Click the Expand File... button 3) In the "File to restore" field, type %WinDir%\SYSTEM32\JDBGMGR.EXE and hit ENTER 4) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files. This may vary from machine to machine. It may be on a local drive, network drive, or CD-ROM (ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL) 5) In the Save File in field, type in %WinDir%\SYSTEM32. 6) Click OK and continue with the restore function -- End Windows XP Instructions -- About McAfee Security Advertise With Us Affiliate Program Contact Us Investors Partners Press Privacy Store Locator Sign up for Free Virus News: McAfee is a business unit of Network Associates, Inc. Copyright © 2003, 2004, Networks Associates Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. McAfee Security for Consumer Privacy Policy.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 31 Jan 2004 22:15

I received a message to delete this from my computer, which I did, I also found out that you can't delete it permanently, whenI switched my computer back on the next day it had reappeared in C drive