Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone help with this one pleaseeeeee

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 31 Jan 2004 15:23

My greatgrandmothe was born 1836 most inconsiderate, one year before registrations, On her marriage certificate it gave her father different surname. She had never been married before. Any tips on how to find mother????????? Would be interested in your thoughts. thank you.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 31 Jan 2004 15:37

Where was she born? early census records would be ideal if its somewhere thats easy to find....Rebecca.

Sally

Sally Report 31 Jan 2004 16:17

Dear Rebecca, Thank you for reply, She was Jane Wallbank, born 1836 Penwortham father George Spencer. Penwortham records destroyed in fire. Where do I go now????????????

Kim

Kim Report 31 Jan 2004 16:39

I have had the very same with my Weaver family the man gives his father on marriage certificate as John Bartlett, but his surname is Weaver. Believe he was born out of wedlock as his mother was John Bartlett's House keeper. She has married him by the 3rd child. Maybe Wallbank was her own mothers name? .......... KIM

Paul

Paul Report 31 Jan 2004 16:40

Parish records, at a local church normally are a good source of info for earlier dates. Their records, when kept were quite accurate.

Sally

Sally Report 1 Feb 2004 04:53

Thank you Kim and Paul, Where do I go now?

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2004 05:00

Hi Sally, Though it was just crazy bods like me, still up at this daft hour!! (I've just got in from work!!!) Have you had anyone check the VRI for you? Don't know how you feel about this. IGI shows Jane Walbank christened 27 Apr 1837 in Samlesbury, Lancs. This is the same area as Preston, which is where Penwortham comes under. Except parents are John Walbank & Jane?! Debbie

Sally

Sally Report 1 Feb 2004 06:24

Hi Deborough, This is really strange, cos I was just thinking about you, was going through my emails and looking at the last one you sent me. came back here and here you are. Thank you for pointing that Jane out yes I have seen her but, do not think its the right one, found my Jane on the 1841 census living with a James age 45 and Ann aged 60 Jane was 6 living in Penwortham, Do wish it was the Jane from Salmesbury would make life easier, I am getting to the point now where I want to believe that is the right Jane. This does silly things to the mind, don't you agree? Thanks a lot. Sally I expect you have gone to bed now, LOL