Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What, if anything, does 'Cares' mean after a perso

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 31 Jan 2004 14:33

After doing some 1901 census searches this morning, two siblings of my great-Grandmother, all born in Lincolnshire, have their birthplace listed as 'Appleby Cares'. A further sibling's birthplace is listed as 'Winterton Carrs' (should that have been Cares as well, instead of Carrs ?). Appleby and Winterton are both villages close to Roxby cum Risby where the parents lived, but what does the suffix 'Cares' mean ? Did the midwife live in these villages or something like that ?

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 31 Jan 2004 14:39

I don't think it will have anything to do with a midwife. Maybe it is a transcription error? Quite how you get 'Cares' from 'Lincs' is beyond me. Have you checked the image?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 31 Jan 2004 14:43

Hello, dont know for sure but would assume it should read Carrs (seems more logical to me). There are some real howlers on the 1901 transcriptions - best to try and look at the actual census forms and work it from there. I believe the original forms were sent to India or somewhere for transcription, and hence the howlers! My grandmother for instance "Frances", is transcribed as "Fraces" and it took me blooming ages to find her! Others on this site have had similar problems. Jacqui

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 31 Jan 2004 14:54

Hello Simon. I just put winterton carrs into google. Try it. it's quite informative. Roger In East Sussex

Geoff

Geoff Report 31 Jan 2004 15:45

A carr is an area of bog or fen in which scrub, esp willow has become established.

Simon

Simon Report 31 Jan 2004 17:30

Roger Cheers for that tip off about Google !! So, a Carr is the name for the drained fenland !! Looks as if it was the 'Cares' after Appleby that was mis-transcibed, not the 'Carrs' after Winterton. Simon