Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Conundrum! Help requested!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 31 Jan 2004 11:24

See below

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 31 Jan 2004 17:34

I have a bit of a cunundrum in trying to track down a Stewar Low born approx 1883 - I've listed all the details I have so far. 1901 ==== 1901 Census has LOW family at 54 Bedford Hill, Streatham. Stewart Low (Head) aged 43 (DOB approx 1858), born in Scotland, occupation carpenter. Mary Ann (Wife) aged 48 (DOB approx 1853), born in Plymouth, Devon. Matilda (Daughter) aged 20 (DOB approx 1881), born in Battersea. Stewart (Son) aged 18 (DOB approx 1883) born Battersea. 1881 ==== 1881 Census from LDS has LOW Family at 139 Ingrave St, Battersea. Robt. Low (Head), aged 23 (DOB approx 1858), born in Scotland, occupation carpenter. Mary A.Low (Wife) aged 24 (DOB approx 1857) born in Plymouth, Devon. Matilda Low (Daughter) aged 2m (DOB approx 1881) born in Battersea. First question - do you think these are the same family? Do the inconsistencies outweigh the consitencies or not? I think enough of the details match to say they are the same family, but am I missing something? Assuming they are the same family, I've been trying to gather some certificates. Certificates ============ I have a birth certificate for Matilda - born 10th Feb 1881 - address on cert is 139 Ingrave Street (same as 1881 census). Father = Stewart Low (occupatin carpenter), mother Mary Ann Low formerly Wingeatt. Birth registered by the mother. So far, so good! Now, I have been unable to track down a marriage cert for Stewart and Mary Ann - but I have not yet looked at any Scottish details - maybe they travelled to Scotland to marry. I'm not sure how likely I think that would have been? I have also been unable to find a birth certificate for Stewart Low (jnr), born in Battersea approx 1883. However, I do have a birth certificate for a Stewart Low Wingeatt! The details on this certificate show the baby boy born at 65 Falcon Road, Battersea on 22nd Jan 1883. Father is Stewart Low Wingeatt, Father's occupation is Carpenter, Mother's name is Mary Ann Wingeatt, formerly Sloggott (or maybe Sloggett). Birth is registered by the mother. So, have I got two families mixed up? Is there a sensible explanation? What could I do to cross check my details? Any comments, suggestions or ideas most welcome!

Mystified

Mystified Report 31 Jan 2004 18:46

Rebecca......... frustrating and fascinating. I thought the answer would be simple.......... I would look on 1891 for you to confirm. I can't find them and unfortunately my subs. for ancestory only have till midnight and I have some research to do myself. I have spent an hour searching as I was fascinated and frustrated too. Perhaps someone else could try for you. anyway here is some info I collated which might help Thomas and Elizabeth Low both born in Chippenham. Matilda born Battersea aged 11 He was a carpenter too!!!!! At 234 ‘Fronde’ St. Battersea John S. Low born Scotland age 37 wife Gertrude living in Battersea can’t read the road name. But he was a laundry man I know this is irrelevant to a degree and you may know but there is a Mary Ann WINGETT 55 and hubbie Arthur 56 in Plymouth parents? This may help. Matilda fits the bill? but is living with others. Notice the spelling of Wingeatt Good luck and let me know how you get on John