Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Friendless Girls Home, Surrey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 30 Jan 2004 22:56

Does anyone out there know of any home for unmarried girls etc in the Carshalton, Sutton area around 1918ish. Were these homes for prostitutes and destitute single mothers and orphans? Jackie

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Jan 2004 23:01

hello Jacky while checking the baptism registers for local churches in Sutton Library i kept coming across thesame address, all the entries for this address only had the mothers name never a father detailed. The librian had never heard of it, so between us we searched and worked out where it was. It was a place called the friendless girls home. We assumed( maybe wrongly) that it was a place for unmarried mothers etc. The period I searched for was 1910 - 1921 (when I found my rellies) Shelli

Jackie

Jackie Report 30 Jan 2004 23:08

Hello again Shelli. I was looking at your email again this evening and looked it up but found nothing specific for this area. Apparently, some were houses owned by private benefactors that took in prostitutes from the streets, orphans and unmarried mothers. They were all over the country. if only we could get an address!! Maybe, it was our solicitor!, Mr P. Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2004 23:09

key it in on google - there are details there via genuki

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Jan 2004 23:11

we searched in Pigot directory and that only list head of household but am fairly sure it was a women listed as head of house Shelli

Jackie

Jackie Report 30 Jan 2004 23:18

Blast - his wife's name was Emily. Just checked. That puts that theory out the window! Now to check genuki -did a google search earlier. Jackie

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Jan 2004 23:22

Jacky am now kicking myself for not taking more notice but none of my lot used that addy so after curiousty gettingthe better of me ( wanted to know why addy kept appearing) I ignored but have funny feeeling it was either in westmead road or close to it Shelli

Jackie

Jackie Report 30 Jan 2004 23:33

Wow Shelli -are we getting warm???!???? Jackie

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Jan 2004 23:40

Jackie maybe it's really bugging me and the archive section isn't open till tues and i can't get there till thurs!!!! GGRRR the reason i know it is in the westmead road area is because my were in Harold road which is off Westmead rd not very far from The cresent. Guess wil have to ask for bapt records to be out for Thurs (have to order in adv!!) and see where that leads ok? Shelli

Jackie

Jackie Report 30 Jan 2004 23:46

Have emailed you Shelli. Jackie PS Calm down!!!!!