Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is Whitechapel in London?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 30 Jan 2004 21:26

Help! Living as I do in the depths of Cornwall, my geography of London is almost non existant. I've been told that my great grandfather was belived to be born in Whitechapel. I have 2 possiblilites for him (Joseph Daniel Richards) - one being born 1855 in Shoreditch, and the other in 1861, and christened 3 years later in St Pancras. Do either of these areas have Whitechapel in them? Pauline

Midlands

Midlands Report 30 Jan 2004 21:35

Dear Pauline, Both Whitechapel and Shoreditch are in the East End of London, and there is only one Whitechapel (of Jack the Ripper fame!). Happy hunting! Lynne

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 30 Jan 2004 21:50

Thanks for those answers. Do I take it that St Pancras is not in the East of London then?, and that just perhaps I have a bit of a lead on my great-grandfather! Pauline

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Jan 2004 23:22

St Pancras is not a great distance from Whitechapel, Shoreditch comes between them. Basically, Whitechapel is east London, Shoreditch is north east London and St Pancras is north London so they form an arc, all about the same distance from London Bridge. Shoreditch and Whitechapel would be the closer combination.

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 30 Jan 2004 23:31

Thanks so much for your help. I do appreciate it. Wish me luck. I'm off to find the East London FHS I think. Pauline

Marjorie

Marjorie Report 31 Jan 2004 14:18

Dear Pauline One thing to bear in mind about registration of births marriages and deaths is that the actual birthplace can be several miles away from the registration district in which the occurance must be registered. For example a great many of my ancestors were born in a place called Shipley, but the registration district on the certificates is shown as either Bradford or N Bierley