Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One to watch re WW1 ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Jan 2004 16:49

Have just noticed the following on the PRO's online document service - www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk - (which is already a goldmine for Wills) - : "We have just launched a project to digitise the index cards to the medal rolls. Comprising of men and women, soldiers and officers, this is essentially the most complete listing of those who fought in the First World War. Cards for Surnames "A" and "B" are available now". . .

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 30 Jan 2004 17:44

Hello Gillian I have just seen the Medal Rolls for my grandfather. I did actually go to London last October to get it. So glad they are online now for £3.00. No doubt I will use the Medal Rolls again. Shirley

Debbi

Debbi Report 30 Jan 2004 17:56

Thanks for that info although sadly I will have a long time to wait as my grandad who fought in the Great War has a surname beginning with M and even then I'm reliably informed that all records etc to do with Mesopatania were destroyed so even if he got a medal I might never find out. Debbi

Jan

Jan Report 30 Jan 2004 18:13

Thanks Gillian I know where my grandfather served and what his regiment and number were bargain for £3.00 Thankfully surname begins with B :) Jan x

Lucky

Lucky Report 30 Jan 2004 19:49

I found my husbands great uncle on CWGC yesterday, name begins with C, so maybe not too long to wait.