Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Really worried now!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie,

Julie, Report 30 Jan 2004 12:19

I browse the questions and answers here regularly and pick up lots of good tips (Bob and Judy) but didn't think I made myself vulnerable to spyware. I have Norton anti virus and firewall. However, lately I have had little boxes pop up onto my screen entitled: Ad .... (Ad Microsoft) and another one beginning with an H, I think. They contain nothing and I just close them, thinking it is yet another bit of the Internet I don't undersatnd. Are these spyware thingies? My computer represents half my life! (saddo that I am) and Judy has got me really scared. Do I buy Ad Aware? Will that nuke anything already there? I am off to Amazon right now!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Jan 2004 12:21

Julie You don't have to buy Adaware. It's free to download. Jeanette

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 17:15

Oh my! I didn't mean to scare you Julie! The things I've mentioned and others have discussed are all part of routine maintanence that needs to be done on your computer. The computer manufactureres don't stress the importance of doing these things to keep your computer healthy. And unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous people who create programs that mess with our computers without our knowledge....all we can do is educate ourselves and protect our computers. Adaware is a free program that simply cleans your computer of unwanted spyware that accumulates out on the internet. If you're receiving pop-ups on your screen, you have spyware. Pop-up blockers are a great tool however, on occasion, it will miss a few. You may want to download Adaware and give it a whirl. The pop-up blocker you are using, is it one that you received from the internet or one that was purchased? Judy

Julie,

Julie, Report 30 Jan 2004 17:28

Don't be put off by my nervous disposition, Judy. Your advice is really useful. When are you going to hit us all with your bill? I don't have a pop-up blocker and I have looked to see if I have an ad nuker on my Norton package but cannot locate one. I went to 'ad aware' on the Internet and downloaded. Now I have stuff called: PC Protection, Download InboxCop, and DownloadGo To My PC. What's all that about? I tried downloading one of them and I think my firewall stopped it. I just want this Adaware thing! Help

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 18:35

Julie: Those websites can be confusing. The program you downloaded is the wrong one....believe me, you're not the first one that has downloaded that particular program. If all you did was download the program, you can safely right click it and delete it. If you installed the program onto the computer you'll have to uninstall it using the computer's uninstall feature. If you're not sure how to do this, I will advise accordingly. In the mean time, via e-mail, I am sending you three e-mails. Each will walk you through, step by step from downloading & installing and using the Adaware program. Judy :)

Julie,

Julie, Report 30 Jan 2004 20:59

Many thanks Judy. Today is likely to save me a lot of agravation in the future. I think I did manage to download the correct software and I think I have deleted the other ones that put themselves on my desktop but I will read your emails very carefully. Anyway, a lot of nasties came up - yes, the teenage daughter convinced me Kazaar was the greatest thing since sliced bread and, oh, yes, I had Morpheus too and I still have WinMX. (Shame, blush, cringe). It does not stop there. I thought, a couple of years ago it would be fun to have Bonzi and bits of that were remaining too. I have probably deleted half my computer's digestion system but everything still seems to be functioning. The one nasty I still have is a Sub 7 Trojan Horse that Norton keeps telling me people are trying to sneek through. It's time that animal got made into cat meat (and me a veggie, as well). Hey, return favours - I live near London, so any English ancestors needing to be looked up, you know where to ask.

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 21:04

Julie: Oh my! Seems most of the names of programs you mentioned are notorious for spyware! I have, for your daughter, a program, that works much like the ones you mentioned, however, it does not add the spyware and is much safer to use as the ones she is using can be tracked by the "cyber police" and can be traced back to you. In the news, here in the States, music industury execs are making example of some of the people who use the downloading programs you've mentioned.....sueing for fidiculous amounts of money. The one I use doesn't allow for tracking. If interested, let me know and I will send you information via e-mail. Judy

Julie,

Julie, Report 30 Jan 2004 21:49

So, is WinMX not good? I have only downloaded a couple of tracks (don't tell on me, didn't know it was so naughty).

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 22:18

The problem with a lot of these programs that allow you to download is one, they install spyware....that's a given and can be removed with Adaware. The other is the fact that they can all track your IP address, which in turn, allows the music industry to track to see who is downloading and sharing, and sue if they choose to. They are mainly interested in those who download and share thousands of music .mp3's. The program I use, and it's the only one I am aware of...although there may be more, or ones being developed as I type, that blocks your IP address so you can't be tracked as being a downloader or a sharer. In answer to your question, from my point of view, WinMX is not one I would personally use....if for no other reason than the tracking issue. Judy

Andy

Andy Report 31 Jan 2004 01:22

For a simple pop-up blocker, you can do a lot worse than download and install the Google toolbar. I've found it to be a great help. http://toolbar(.)google(.)com remove the brackets!