Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate Advice Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2004 11:41

Was wondering if some one could help me? I received a birth certificate this morning. The child's name is Norma Hughes Cohnstern, daughter of Florence Cohnstern. The father's name is listed as James Hughes, but has been struck out. Am I to assume that James Hughes was the father and that he has been struck off the birth certificate because he and the mother of the child weren't married? I know this seems fairly obvious, but I wanted someone to reassure me that I wasn't jumping to stupid conclusions. Also, in the box where the father's name is listed, there is a number 12 in brackets. This seems to be some sort of note as on the very left of the certificate the registrar has written 'twelve' and then what looks like a number 8 and a superscript 's' (I think, however, this could be his initals authorising the change as he was called George Smith - The capital 'G' of his signature seems to correspond with what looks like the 8). Does this number 12 signify the mere crossing out of the father's name, or would there be any other info? Would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this. Many thanks, Kate

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jan 2004 11:51

Kate Where did you get the cert from? Was it the GRO or a local reg. Why don't you ring and ask them what all this could mean. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. Margaret

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2004 11:57

Thanks Margaret, I got it from GRO, so yes I probably should give them a ring. Sorry, my head isn't working properly this morning! Kate

Helen

Helen Report 30 Jan 2004 12:29

Hi, I think that the number just indicates an amendment to the books as I have a couple of cert where things have been crossed out and replaced with something else with a number having been written next to it. Not sure why the father's name would have been crossed out though! Plenty of unmarried fathers had their names shown on certs.... Helen

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2004 12:51

Thanks for that Helen Kate

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Jan 2004 12:56

Could it have perhaps been that the mother had put the father's name on without his permission then he requested it was taken off? I think it depends when the registration was. In a booklet I have it says info on birth cert:- Father's full name & occupation if married to the mother or after 1875 if he attended with the mother and signed the registration entry.. Between 1837 and 1875 the mother could state the name of the father if she wished and he would be included in the certificate. From 1875 he had to appear himself. If the couple wanted to there was nothing to stop them registering the child in the man's name (except possibly respect for the law or for the local knowledge of the registrar) don't know if this is any help. Ann Glos Ann Glos

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2004 15:52

Many thanks Ann, I hadn't thought of that Kate