Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 29 Jan 2004 21:36

Does anyone know what kind of records are available for workhouses? I know they'll be shown on censuses but I was hoping for a bit more information. Thanks.

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jan 2004 21:41

CHECKOUT http://users.ox.ac.uk/~PETER/Workhouse . Or genuki also has some info,I think the records vary from workhouse to workhouse .KIM

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 29 Jan 2004 22:13

Hello Elizabeth You could also try http://www(.)institutions(.)org(.)uk/index(.)html Shirley

Anna

Anna Report 29 Jan 2004 22:29

I emailed the County in question about my gran,she was born in a workhouse in 1919 and they gave me details about her and her mum,the date they were discharged and then readmitted,This was Cumbria council as she was in Whitehaven workhouse and they were most helpful,I then found out that my grans mum died in Doncaster workhouse/asylum on 1937 but when I emailed them,they said it would cost £12 just to do a search on her name to see if she had been admitted or not. anna

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 29 Jan 2004 22:43

Thanks Anna, good to know they have some records. And I found email/telephone details via that institutions website for some archives service (forget the name) in Wolverhampton so I'll give it a go. Think I'm out of cash after ordering so many certificates though..! ;)