Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ages on Marriage certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 29 Jan 2004 18:41

Did full age on a marraige certificate me they were over 21, because going by a later census I only make the said person 16, how can this be Margaret

Lucky

Lucky Report 29 Jan 2004 18:52

I have had this on cert I can't answer why but I had a marriage cert last week which said they were both minor age, when I looked up the births one wasn't. I suppose like the census returns they are still liable for mistakes.

Sheila

Sheila Report 29 Jan 2004 19:29

Full age, I'm sure did mean over 21. My great great Grandmothers marriage certificate states" Minor with consent of father," and she was 18, and her husband has age as" full "and he was 31.Dont take any information on face value.There are many mistakes. I have 4 different ages for my great grandfather on various documents as much as 7 years difference. Hope this is of some help. Sheila.

Michele

Michele Report 29 Jan 2004 19:53

Hi margaret, I have a marriage certificate that states the groom of full age (he was 20 at the time) and the bride is down as under age (she was 17 at the time) I always thought full age was 21 anything under that you were a minor and had to have the parents consent. many people often lied about their true age. On another certificate i have both ages are given as 21 but the bride was in fact 18. Hope this helps Michele

Hilary

Hilary Report 29 Jan 2004 19:54

I think this one has come up on the board before and depending on the era, full age can be anything from 14 to 21.

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jan 2004 20:25

Also don't forget they did not need to show their birth certs like we do now so they could lie about age or simply forget how old they were.My paternal great grandfather was 38 on the 1901 census and still 38 when he married a young lady 3 years later.....Obviously didn't want to admit to being forty for his young wife. Just because they were official documents doesn't mean that they were entirely accurate..... KIM

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 29 Jan 2004 22:50

We have had this before. It usually meant over 21 but sometimes meant "of legal age"(as low as 12). Also remember that the 21 consent rule does not apply in Scotland ( hence the Gretna Green runaways) Bob