Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grave numbers explanation required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thomas

Thomas Report 29 Jan 2004 17:39

Just got some info on my Gdad’s burial site but now I am confused by the info. Could some one explain the following: Grave 62/528 & Grave 62/528a. Is it row and burial number? and why the “a”? I know its not imperative to the ongowing search but it will bug me unless I know!!! cheers Ian

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 29 Jan 2004 18:10

Hello - cemeteries are usually laid out in sections - Section A, B, C etc. Each grave has a number within that section and a row number. It's possible that the A on your grave number denotes a new section of the cemetery that was opened later, and probably adjacent to the original section. You only need really to contact the cemetery concerned and they should be able to supply you with a plan of the cemetery, with each section outlined and they will also explain their grave numbering system. Good luck Jacqui

Raymond

Raymond Report 29 Jan 2004 19:58

the larger number of the two will be the plot number and the small number will be the section,usually found on the headstone at least were my g/parents graves are, hope this helps.