Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce in 1890s - How can I find out more?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 29 Jan 2004 14:07

One of my ancestors was a divorcee. Using National Archivist I was able to see the index only to the Divorce papers (£6 not well spent but will put it down to experience) but is the next step a visit to Kew. Is there any other way of getting this information without going on a trip. I don't live that far from London so it's not out of the question but if I could do it more easily it would be great. Any suggestions or ideas on researching divorce would be very useful. My ancestor was divorced in the 1890s so must have been a relatively complicated procedure. Thanks Jenny

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 29 Jan 2004 15:12

Hello Jenny Here are some useful websites for anyone that needs them. www(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk go to leaflets index to find two leaflets before 1858 and after 1858 on divorce. The indexes to divorces are held on microfilm at Kew under J78. a copy of this index is also held at the Family records centre London. although the records are at Kew. WWW(.)nas(. )gov(.)uk The National Archives of Scotland publish a factsheet about divorce and seperation in Scotland - available as a pdf file. WWW(.)a2a(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk/ The access to archives database includes some of the House of Lords' Record Office catalogues listing private divorce bills. Shirley