Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any thoughts...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 29 Jan 2004 12:00

See below

Anna

Anna Report 29 Jan 2004 12:00

My great grandfather was called Bertram Norman Stephenson, born according to his death and marriage ages in around 1890. On his marriage certificate,his father is Thomas Stephenson. On 1901 census,I have found him with Thomas Stephenson Hannah Stephenson and siblings including Lovinia and Herbert,also with the family is a "stepson"John William Johnson I tried to find the family on 1891 census,as some of the older"Stephenson" children should of been there but there was no sign. I then looked on 1881 census and found John William Johnson,living with him mum and dad Luke obadiah Johnson and Hannah Johnson. I traced this family on 1891 and found them living at the same place as 1881 with children: Sarah Jane 15 John William 13 Mary Anne 10 Lovinia 6 Herbert 2 and Bertram Norman 1 Then I found Thomas Stephenson on 1891,born in the correct place and at the correct age with wife Isabella Stephenson and daughter Mary Jane aged 1 I had looked for Bertrams birth on 1837online from 1889 right up til 1899,also his siblings with the Surname Stephenson,but didnt find anything Today I have just looked again and found Bertram Norman Johnson birth in Sept quarter of 1890 in Weardale. How can I go about proving or disproving that both of these Bertram Normans are the same person? Any suggestions would be most welcome Anna

Emma

Emma Report 29 Jan 2004 12:08

Ann, I would have thought it's pretty certain they are one and the same, however, I would: find the marriage for Thomas Stephenson and Hannah Johnson check that there are no deaths for Bertram Norman Johnson check 1901 to make sure there is no Bertram Norman Johnson look for the death records for Luke Johnson and Isabella Stephenson. Emma.

Anna

Anna Report 29 Jan 2004 12:12

Hiya Emma I have checked 1901 census for a Bertram Johnson,there are a few,but none born in the correct area,or at the correct age. Ive had a look on ancestry at the BMDs,cant find any,so now im checking 1837online.Could take some time though lol Anna

Anna

Anna Report 29 Jan 2004 16:15

After speaking to my dad,He called Bertrams daughter and she confirmed that Bertrams mum had married twice,however she is adamant that Bertram was a Stephenson,so I have ordered Bertrams birth cert to prove this is the correct guy,and Thomas Stephenson was his stepfather not his father. Does this mean that my surname is really Johnson?lol One good thing has came out of it though,My dad hadnt spoken to his aunt for 20 years! Anna :-)