Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Latest warning on virus W32.Novarg/my doom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Jan 2004 09:03

I received this email today from my web designer warning of this virus and how to get the removal tool. As many of you may be aware the Internet has again been plagued by a new Virus - My Doom/Novarg The virus has in the space of 12 hours infected an estimated 1 in 12 emails worldwide! (The last mass virus attack by the Blaster Worm in 2003, took 48 hours to achieve 1 in 17 and was considered the worst virus ever, bring many companies across the world to a halt) Our server has been removing the virus from your emails for the last 24 hours at a rate of between 30 and 40 an hour. Would all clients please ensure that your antivirus software is upto date. We would also suggest you download http(://)securityresponse(.)symantec(.)com(/)avcenter(/)venc(/)data(/)w32(.)novarg(.)a(@)mm(.)removal(.)tool(.)html This is a tool and download the removal tool found halfway down the page. This virus is very serious and is very aggressive and prolific. We would suggest that you do not open emails from people you do not know. You do not open emails with the subject of - test - hi - hello. Do not open emails from a source you do not trust with an attachment. Check the name on the email matches the domain..ie you usually get emails from [email protected] it is from [email protected] suspicious! Our server will remove about 60% of the risk...the rest is upto you! (Comments regarding our server are of course to those clients that use our server for mail. If you do not then this is just a warning about the virus) Remove brackets on web address.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 29 Jan 2004 12:19

Sheila I posted a thread regarding the virus ( Im assuming its the same one ) My AVG free edition is fully updated yet it failed to detect it. My advice is, be vidgulant, dont totally rely on your anti virus, If you find anything strange especially with an attatchment. DELETE IT IMMEDIATLY ! Elainex