Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rochester, Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 08:47

Help! My ancestor was Harry, born Rochester Kent in 1868 on the 1881 & 1901 census and on his marriage certificate in 1895. In 1891 someone has found me a Henry, born Rochester about the same time. BMD does not have him at all so I have printed off all the 1837 records for a 5 year period around his birth and there is no Harry or Henry either as a first or second name from Medway. Did Rochester come under another district between 1865 -1870 and can anyone think of another name for Harry? It's driving me potty!

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 29 Jan 2004 09:06

Helen I was looking for somebody else, who had family in the Rochester area and their wedding was in Maidstine.She was born in Shorne and her birth was registered in North Aylesford. Have you tried ringing Rochester library? They maybe able to confirm the area and what it was called then. Have you thought of Harold for Harry? Lynda

Geoff

Geoff Report 29 Jan 2004 09:11

Rochester was in Medway all the time.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 09:13

Morning Lynda! If I've got the right Harry, and of course I won't know until I've found his birth, his parent's marriage was registered at N. Aylesford so I'll have another look for that, thank-you. I don't think there were any Harolds though. Where is N. Aylesford in comparison to Rochester? I don't know that area at all. Thank you! Helen

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 09:14

Geoff, Thank-you, That's what I thought, but I'm getting desperate!

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 29 Jan 2004 09:23

Helen Aylesford is about 8 miles from Rochester, but of course that would be the centre of Rochester, so North Aylesford may be nearer, if that makes sense! There is a road that now leads from one to the other, so it may not have been that far from each other, especially as the boundaries may have changed, it could I suppose have been nearer! I sometimes go that way, next time I will check the mileage. Lynda

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 09:32

That would be great, Lynda. I've just checked BMD again and, nope, no births for that time at all. However, N. Aylesford did include Strood which I always thought was Rochester (in my ignorance) so I'll get out my magnifying glass and check the 1837 pages again. Thanks!

Crista

Crista Report 29 Jan 2004 09:39

Helen, What is Harry's surname and his parent's names also? Crista

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 09:47

Hi Crista, Harry's parents ( I think) were Thomas and Susan Emma, sometimes just Emma, Lock. Harry was Locke by the time he married. Have you got an idea? All suggestions gratefully received! Many thanks, Helen

Crista

Crista Report 29 Jan 2004 10:17

Helen, Whom did he marry in 1895? Crista

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 10:32

Crista, Harry married Sarah Ann Spencer in 1895 in Derby. Harry was supposed to have been born in Rochester, 1867-1868, was in Portsea, Hants where his mother came from in 1881, was at Woolwich barracks in 1891 and married in Derby where he still was in 1901. The 1871 census has apparently been released but isn't indexed and as you see I have no idea where to look for 1871! I've just re-checked 1837 on-line for any N. Aylesford births between 1866 and 1870 and there isn't one, male or female!

Crista

Crista Report 29 Jan 2004 10:54

Helen, I see on the 1881 census Harry was born in Chatham. Both Chatham and Rochester still come under Medway. http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/ken.htm Crista

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 10:59

Thanks, Crista, I think Harry is going to be my brick wall.

Crista

Crista Report 29 Jan 2004 11:15

Helen, The years 1867 and 1868 don't have much coverage on FreeBMD at the moment. If you wait a bit for the data to fill in you might find him. Crista

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 12:33

I think you're right, Crista. Thanks!

Belle56

Belle56 Report 29 Jan 2004 14:15

Hi Helen, Here is the number for the archives at the Civic Centre in Strood. 01634-332714 they are really helpful and will tell you that they hold all the census returns for the immediate surrounding area, and if your Harry was born in Rochester they will have something on him, as Strood and Rochester is only separated by a bridge, and Chatham is only a 15 minute walk away, but Maidstone is a fair distance and so is Aylesford. I wouldn't want to walk to either of these, LOL. Hope this helps. April.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 16:23

April, That's a big help too. Thank-you very much - I'll give them a try! Helen

Kim

Kim Report 29 Jan 2004 22:30

have you thought he may not have had a birth certificate at all . my great grandfather didn't and he was born in 1887 , not much help I know but it does happen. KIM

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Jan 2004 22:34

Kim, I'm beginning to think anything is possible! The rest of the ancestors have been fairly eay to track but he is so elusive!