Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing surnames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 18:05

see below

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 18:15

I have a mystery regarding one of the families in my tree. One ancestor, Jane Elizabeth JOHNSON marries Thomas PORRITT in Marske-by-the-Sea in 1881. Jane is 19, Thomas, 22. There is no sign of them in 1891 (although I may have found Thomas, see next paragraph), but there is a Lizzie PORRITT living with Jane's mother, Hannah ROBINSON in 1891. Lizzie is shown as being a grand-daughter of Hannah. When I did a search for Thomas PORRITT on the 1891 census, the only one I could find was a 30 year old, born in Marske-by-the-Sea and staying as a boarder with a family in Castleford, West Yorkshire. He's listed as single but has a 7 year old son, William PORRITT (also born in Marske). In 1901, this Thomas has re-married and has many more kids, whilst Lizzie PORRITT is still with her grandmother but has changed her name to Lizzie ROBINSON. The only thing I can deduce from all of this is that Jane Elizabeth PORRITT (nee JOHNSON) must have died sometime between 1881 and 1891, and that Thomas and son went one way and the daughter went the other. Thoughts? Thanks Andy

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2004 18:22

Have you had one of those days at the records office that has left you with more questions than answers?! Jeanette;-)

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 18:51

Er, you could say that, Jeanette! As far as I'm aware there is no direct link between this Porritt family and the one in the other thread. Although unrelated to this thread, I found a daughter, born in 1894 for one family but nowhere to be found seemingly on the 1901 census. Checked the local burial records and FreeBMD (admittedly still not 100% complete for that period in time) but nothing. Wondering if she's on the census under a different surname also....

Irene

Irene Report 28 Jan 2004 19:38

Fathers would look after the boys if the mother died but young girl mostly were shipped out the family. We had one in ours she was only 4 in 1861 she was with her grandmother, the son was with the father, not sure what happened yet to the other daughters, but we seem to have lost the little 4 year old after 61 not found her only any census after that, or any of the other children. Irene

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2004 23:14

Andy Have you tried looking for Thomas Porritt on the 1871 census (or 1881 if it was taken before the marriage) to see if he was born in Marske-by the-sea and what his age is? Jeanette

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 28 Jan 2004 23:20

Hi Andy I too have someone in my Tree who appears to have become a widower quite early in life. His eldest daughter went to live with an aunt, whilst he kept the boys with him. He later remarried and added a few more offspring - but I can find no trace of the eldest daughter ever returning to live with her father. I think this sort of thing must have happened a lot... whereas you'd have perhaps thought that the eldest daughter, however young, might have been expected to take over her mother's care for the family. In your case, maybe the enumerator simply got her surname wrong, assuming it to be the same as the grandmothers...?

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 23:25

Hi Jeanette, Yep, he's there on the 1881 census living with his widowed father and sister in Marske. Census quotes him as having been born in Marske so it is feasible that the guy lodging in Castleford in 1891 could be him. I guess I really need to look on 1837 to see if I can spot a death for a Jane Elizabeth Porritt (can't find one as yet on FreeBMD), as that would clear things up a little.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 28 Jan 2004 23:28

Incidentally, there are a 22 births of Yorkshire Porritts on the VRI between 1749 and 1905... plus a few in Northumberland. Let me know if you'd like a list!

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 23:32

Linda, I thought that too about the enumerator getting the name wrong, I've seen it happen once or twice before. However, there's a Lizzie Robinson, who's one of the marriage witnesses at a relatives wedding in 1899. So, it could be that she adopted her grandmother's surname (grandmother married twice) sometime between 1891 and 1901. I just wondered whether this sort of thing was common or not, especially as it seems that she chose not to live with her father.

Andy

Andy Report 28 Jan 2004 23:35

Linda, thanks, that'd be kind :-)

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 28 Jan 2004 23:41

Andy - on the 1901 what is Lizzie's marital status? I suppose she hadn't married a Robinson cousin? If you email me, I'll send you the list as an attachment...