Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

vnetbios.xvd help Sorted this - now have a

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 13:18

see below

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 13:19

I have formatted the hard drive on an old PC running Windows 98 second edition. I am planning to give it to my sister. I did try just deleting all of my info that was on it but kept getting the following message on start up. device file missing the file is vnetbios.xvd if you press any key the PC continues to start up and the same thing is happening after formatting and reloading Windows. What can I do to correct this, has anyone any ideas? Margaret

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Jan 2004 13:25

Put vnetbios into Google and you will see lots of similar messages - I'm sure you'll find a quick answer.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 13:39

thankx Geoff I'll try that Margaret

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 28 Jan 2004 14:56

Hi Margaret, You fixed it yet? I found this for you ..... vnetbios.vxd is one of the Network virtual device drivers for windows. It is normally installed whenever networking or dial-up services are installed on the computer. It is common for this file to create an error in windows 98/95 on startup when a network driver installation was not completed properly, or the windows CD wasn't available. It may also happen when a computer is upgraded from DOS/Win3.1 to Windows 9x, as the old network drivers don't get automatically removed by the windows install. If you are getting an error try removing all network related functions from the network icon in Control Panel, and then reboot the computer. On restart the network card should be re-detected and the network files will be re-installed. Failing that you can download the driver you want here: http://www.video-drivers(.)com/drivers/3/3825.htm You have to sign up first but thats free. Good luck Sioux

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 15:39

Sioux Have done what you said about removing all network related functions from network icon. That got rid of the problem of the vnetbios.vxd. The trouble is, now I cant install the broadband modem cause of the following message: Dial up Networking is not found. The Setup Wizard needs Dial-up Networking to be installed before running the DSL Setup Wizard. Have I removed too much? Shall I put the Windows 98SE disc in again? HELP SOMEONE Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 16:21

Well I tried putting in the Windows 98SE disc in again anyway. Now I have lots more files missing. loads ending in .dll and some more ending .xvd. I wish I'd never told my sister she could have the damn thing. I'm giving up for today and am going to get my daughter to re-format it again in the morning. Any ideas in the mean time will be gratefully received Margaret