Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AOL blocking rootsweb lists since 28 Jan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 28 Jan 2004 12:04

Is it just me who has had no mailing lists since Leicestershire at 5 mins past midnight - or is it everyone?? If it's everyone then it's probably a rootsweb problem and I won't worry, but if it's just me it could be my computer, or good old aol up to their tricks again!!

Lucky

Lucky Report 28 Jan 2004 12:16

I am on about 6 lists and have had no new posts since last night. Must be a problem at Rootsweb.

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 28 Jan 2004 12:19

Thanks Diane, you have reassured me!!

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 28 Jan 2004 16:20

I have just been reading my e-mails and noticed several people on Rootsweb lists complaining. Not everyone it seems is affected. Someone suggested it was a problem with AOL. Rosemary(Chelmsford)

Lucky

Lucky Report 28 Jan 2004 19:07

I'm on AOL so it's a possibility but it's never happened before, still nothing coming through though!

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 28 Jan 2004 22:23

Diane, I was reassured too soon!!!!! It's a problem with aol (again!!). One of my listowners has sent me the following. Will complain to aol, but on past performance am not holding my breath on then sorting it out!! From listowner: I'm writing you to let you know of a problem with AOL and rootsweb. Yesterday, rootsweb changed it's IP address and since then AOL has been returning all messages sent to you as undeliverable. The reason given is: <<< 554-(RLY:B1) The information presently available to AOL indicates this <<< 554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's <<< 554-member base. Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at <<< 554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further <<< 554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain. For more information, <<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com. For some reason, AOL has decided that rootsweb mail is spam and they will not put it through to their customers. Rootsweb has been in touch with AOL about this issue but they're not sure if AOL will listen or do anything about removing this block from your list mail. There is a number of bounces allowed before the robot at rootsweb removes an address. I've set the limit on the NFLD-ROOTS to 12 returned messages but at the rate we're going it won't be long before your address is removed by the robot due to the bounces. :-( I can't resubscribe you once the robot removes your address because another returned message will trigger the robot to remove your address once again. It might be a good idea for you to contact tech support and explain that you had to subscribe to receive mail from the NFLD-ROOTS mailing list and that it's not spam and that you'd like to receive it once again.

Lucky

Lucky Report 28 Jan 2004 23:29

I've had two posts tonight. One each from London and Lincs. Will see what it's like tomorrow and then e mail AOL. It's a right palaver having to resub again, this has never happened before. I may resub with another e mail address. Do you think it may be something to do with this new virus going around, seems strange it all happening when this started. I've had two dodgy e mails today. Both deleted and sent to spam.

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 29 Jan 2004 00:55

Diane, Lucky you - I've had nothing!!! Another aol member suggested getting aol 8 or 9 as you can get into the spam filter as you can with the not cold mail and then you decide what you want, rather than having it decided for you by aol!! Just hope they sort it out soon!!!

Lucky

Lucky Report 30 Jan 2004 15:28

I have AOL 8 and it is still happening. I have today unsubbed from all my lists and re subbed via hotmail (it didn't come up who I re subbed with, just say another e mail address!!!). No problems, am now getting mail from the lists. Tellingly I have still not received unsub e mails from any of the rootsweb lists several hours later. What a joke