Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aston/ Birmingham Newspapers Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marlene

Marlene Report 28 Jan 2004 08:21

Hi I desperately want to find descendants of my great grandfather's family (WARD)who lived in Small Heath Aston when he departed for New Zealand. As there were about a dozen at least nieces and nephews in 1901 of which I am aware I thought I might write to local newspapers/woman's magazines. (2 of the males died in 1917 so I may have to appeal to descendants of the women) Can anyone help me with email addresses, editors and suitable regular features to which I could appeal for help? I am attempting to write a book which I want to publish this year, the 125th anniversary of the family 's arrival in Aotaroa. It would be wonderful to have some photos of the olds to include. Very grateful for any ideas. Kia Ora. Marlene

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 28 Jan 2004 08:47

Hello Marlene The Birmingham Library have a huge selection of photographs of Birmingham. Have you tried the web site Virtual Brum? There is a lot of information about Aston on it. Just type virtual Brum in search. Good Luck Shirley

Ellen

Ellen Report 28 Jan 2004 11:37

Try www.expresssandstar.com It covers much of B'ham now. The main one is the "Birmingham Evening Mail". You should be able to find the site on search. Good Luck Regards Helena