Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sissey and ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 28 Jan 2004 03:00

See below.

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 28 Jan 2004 03:02

OK Super sleuths! Here's the challenge! Some Jepson/Carters just waiting to be adoptd by me on the 1891!! Many thanks to Emma for the info! I really appreciate it! The writing isn't too bad but ........ There is a "Sissey" and something that looks like "Sivla"/"Sinla"! Both are female one 7 and the other 5. I would like to know what "Sissey" could be short for, apart from Cecily, Cecelia. AND what on earth "Sinla could be! There is definately _i_la. Didn't turn up anything on a Birth Search for Free but am off the the FHC tomorrow morning so ideas would be most welcome! Sonja in Oz

Amanda

Amanda Report 28 Jan 2004 06:09

Hi Sonya, I know this is of know help, but my grandmothers name was Maggie and she was know as Cissy all of her life. Can't think why, maybe she didn't like the name she was given at birth. Amanda

Michele

Michele Report 28 Jan 2004 06:55

Hi could it just be a shortening of sister? My daughter Brittany is known as Sissy to her little half brother in Virginia. Michele

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2004 06:58

My GG grandmother was Silvia. Everytime we've seen her name it seems to be different. Could your person be Silvia/ Sylvia? No new ideas for Sissy!

Ellen

Ellen Report 28 Jan 2004 07:39

How about Clarissa for Sissy? Regards Helena

Kim

Kim Report 28 Jan 2004 08:10

mary was often called sissy and cynthia

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jan 2004 09:20

I always thought it was short for Frances...

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Jan 2004 09:25

Hi My nan was called Sissey by her family and her real name was Ethel. I think she was called Sissey because she was the eldest. Sharon

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2004 11:11

Sonja, Can you find them on the 1901 census? They should still be single at that point and you might be able to read their names. Crista

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2004 11:43

My sissy was Olive Sarah. I wonder if it was a pet name for sister Mararet

Linda

Linda Report 28 Jan 2004 12:20

MY mum worked with an old lady 30 years ago whose name was cecelia who was called cissy. If that is any help Linda P

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jan 2004 14:17

Hi Sonja, I have an Aunt Isabel and she was always called Cissie by family and friends. Always thought that was her real name, so when it came to looking for her birth i could'nt find it. I only found it when my eldest sister recalled recalled aunt Cissie's husband calling her Isabel once during an argument! Jane

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Jan 2004 16:10

My wifes aunt was called sissey all her life even her friends and all her neices it was a pet name for Big sister even though her name was Hannah even her husband called her by it . Bob

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 28 Jan 2004 18:38

Could the gappy-name be Celia? Enumeraters sometimes were semi-literate rather than literate, it may have been recorded as 'Selia'. Or perhaps Selina?