Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Raymond

Raymond Report 27 Jan 2004 19:58

i have just used the 1837 sight for the first time after purchasing some units i am however a little disappointed as i am looking for information with very little to lead me, ie i have the birth date and location/district and the mother and father of the person whos marriage i am trying to trace i have no date or plce for the marriage so it is just a matter of guess work am i expecting to much from the sight as when i did a search all i got was a date christian and surname and a vol number and page number and a plce of marriage no father or mothers name to help me identify if it is the right person.any advice would most welcome. regards ray

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 27 Jan 2004 20:01

you will only get the fathers names of the married couple if you send for the certificate. The mothers and fathers name should be on a birth certificate. As to how you find the marriage cert, if you have no idea when or where then it will be guess work and lots of money. Have you tried the freebmd site using couples names and an approximate date range. Who's marriage are you looking for. Freebmd is just that - Free and can save time and money.

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Jan 2004 20:07

What you see on 1837 online are the indexes that enable you to buy the certificate. If you don't want to pay on 1837 online, go to your local LDS, main library or county record office. They will have the indexes on microfiche that you can do for free You will need to buy the certificate to get any further info Margaret