Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why an unconsecrated grave?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sara

Sara Report 27 Jan 2004 16:52

If you were christened and married in church, and died of renal dropsy, why would your wife bury you in an unconsecrated grave? Thanks everyone who has responded. It was definately an unconsecrated grave, unmarked too of course.

Gem in Wakefield

Gem in Wakefield Report 27 Jan 2004 17:10

Sarah. Was he christened and married in the church that he was buried? Was he from another area/county? One of my ancestors was buried in an unconsecrated grave, he came from Shropshire, and he lived in Yorkshire for 20 years. He died and was buried in an unconsecrated grave. Gem

Michelle

Michelle Report 27 Jan 2004 18:22

It could have been a financial reason. If a family couldn't afford to buy the plot or to pay for a full funeral, this is what happened. You will probably find that there are other unrelated people buried in the same plot. m.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 28 Jan 2004 12:29

Sara, I was looking for gt grandparents grave at a cemetery around turn of century - I would say that 98% of the burials were unconsecrated. The only reason that we can think of is financial. However, if you are talking about a churchyard burial, there may be more to it and you would probably be best to contact the church for more information. Maz. XX

Anne

Anne Report 28 Jan 2004 13:00

Sara Do you really mean the grave was unconsecrated, or was it just unmarked? The burial would usually have a religious ceremony even if it was never marked with a sone or cross. If it was really unconsecrated there would probably have been a note about it in the parish burial records. I have one of those which says 'buried - no ceremony' Many graves went unmarked but it just meant they couldn't afford a headstone. It is a considerable expense even these days! Anne

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 28 Jan 2004 15:38

Hi, When I went to Godalming to vist my nans grave half the cemetery was unconsecrated ground and was mark up as such. Margaret