Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where can I find......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 27 Jan 2004 13:41

My Nan has told me that her father was awarded medals in World War 1. Where will I be able to find out more details about this. Thanks Michelle

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 27 Jan 2004 15:44

Hi Michelle, I think you can try looking on the PRO website or at the PRO offices in Kew. Not sure of the URL but will be easy to find in a search engine. It will help if you have some information about his service eg: Army, Navy, RAF, service # and so on Naomi

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jan 2004 16:59

Hi, Did he actually claim his medals? My husbands G/father didn't and neither did mine. My Mum has recently applied for her Fathers, and as he is still living he has to fill in a form and apply for it. If the person is deceased, the next of kin may apply, so my husbands Mum will apply for her Fathers. If this is what you're looking into, let me know and I will dig out the address for you, I have it somewhere. These were basic war medals, but as far as I am aware unclaimed medals may be claimed by next of kin, providing you have service number and rank etc., I think. If you already have the medals, just ignore me. Sarah

Michelle

Michelle Report 28 Jan 2004 13:09

Thanks for your help. Sarah, My Nan was only 13 when her father died, so we don't know whether the medals were ever claimed. I'm going to the PRO on Saturday (weather permitting) so the information they have might give me an idea as to whether they were claimed or not. Thanks Michelle