Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name variations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eline

eline Report 27 Jan 2004 13:00

Could some of our Irish members help me with a query. My gt. gt. gt. grandmother came to NE of England from N. Ireland in early 1800s. She couldn't write but gave her name for her marriage which was transcribed as Carnearnen. However on the 1881 census it has become Carnarnan. Is there such a name and also I would like as many variations of the name as possible. e.g. Carnahan etc. Regards, Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jan 2004 13:16

KARNAHAN KERNAGHAN KERNAHAN KERNAN KERNOHAN KERNOGHAN KERNAHON and several other variations, not for getting the O's, Mc's. Mac's and Nic's

Barrie

Barrie Report 22 Jan 2008 14:00

hi,
My ggfather was a KernaCHAN two children were KernaHAN 6 were KernaGHAN and he was buried under Carnachan,
In Irish records look under your spelling if it's not there then you know the local official has his own spelling. Sure enough its there the same sounding just spelt different especially Griffiths Land Valuations.

Just Jill x

Just Jill x Report 22 Jan 2008 15:00

Don't forget that they wrote what they heard as the spoken word so there are bound to be variatons.
Jill
x