Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Library census records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 10:14

I checked the websites of various main libraries in Kent to find that they only have the census records for their particular area. This will involve me in hours of driving to track down one person on the 1871 census, unless it is possible to order copies from one library to another. Is it possible to do this, or is there another way of getting the information that I haven't thought of?

James

James Report 27 Jan 2004 10:20

Post an appeal on here and some kind person will look for you. We all do it. Jim

Daniel

Daniel Report 27 Jan 2004 10:28

Try your local LDS centre. In phone book - maybe under Church of Latter Day Saints. You can order film or fiche to look at , at their centre. It will cost a few pounds to hire, but you will have it to view for a few weeks. You can see what films thay have available to order on the family.search website. http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 11:18

Thank-you 'name witheld' and James. James, I tried that and someone told me to go to the Library!

K

K Report 27 Jan 2004 11:53

Another way may be buying it from S & N Genealogy Supplies, It's just been released. As far as I know there is no index of names available it is only searchable by area and street, hence it would take hours if you don't have an idea of what district they would be in. or check the What Cds records do you have thread on the records board, started by Georgina, that lists people that have certain census's. Sorry I can't be anymore help Keren

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 12:07

Thank-you Keren, that's really helpful. I've got S&N on my 'favourites' so I'll check that out straightaway.

Karen

Karen Report 27 Jan 2004 12:30

Helen I live in Tunbridge Wells, if you need anything researching in this area, let me know. Karen

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 19:31

Thanks, Karen, that's really kind of you. It's actually Rochester where this man was supposed to have been born but the entire family seems unreliable so if it turns out to be Tunbridge Wells I might take you up on your kind offer. Thank-you Helen :)))

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 27 Jan 2004 19:38

Helen I would post you request on here again, and if some "helpful" person tells you you to go to the library, tell them you can't. I live fairly near to Rochester, but I cannot promise to go as I have work commitments, but put your details on here and if nobody else is able to do it I will try. I also live in walking distance from an LDS centre, but it only opens certain times. Lynda

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 20:06

Thank-you too for your thoughts, Lynda. I'll have another try on the Records Office Board then. I would try and get there myself but at the moment am working all week and I live almost on the south coast so it would be daft to trek up for just one person. If I found out more about him then I might have a few more people to look up at the same time, thus making the round trip a bit more worth while! Many thanks, Helen